SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
A525-9410
New Member.

about VM explorer Licensing

in the VM explorer Quickspecs 

Examples
For an environment with 4 x hypervisor hosts, each with 2 x physical CPU sockets (8 sockets total):
Professional Edition: 1 x Professional Edition Starter Pack + 4 x Professional 1 Additional CPU Socket
licenses
Or
Enterprise Edition: 1 x Enterprise Edition Starter Pack + 2 x Enterprise 1 Additional CPU Socket licenses

Question : 

the Licensing is  Socket * hypervisor host   or   the Licensing is  Socket * hypervisor "Guest"

if   2 server each 2 socket ,  each have 1 hypervisor host( example vSphere or hyper-v)  how to buy ?

if   3 server each 1 socket ,  each have  "1" hypervisor host( example vSphere or hyper-v)  how to buy ?

by the way , each physical server hvae one hypervisor and many guests how to define the  Licensing

8 REPLIES
Sandro Petruzzi
Respected Contributor.

Re: about VM explorer Licensing

For specific $ (cost) your best bet is to send an email to sales@trilead.com

https://www.trilead.com/faq/

HPE VM Explorer is licensed by physical CPU sockets within hypervisor hosts that contain VMs to be backed-up. Each instance must be licensed with a Starter Pack, and additional CPU sockets can be purchased to meet your environment. HPE VM Explorer Professional Edition Starter Pack includes the license to use (LTU) for 4 (four) CPU sockets. HPE VM Explorer Enterprise Edition Starter Pack includes the license to use (LTU) for 6 (six) CPU sockets. Either HPE VM Explorer Professional Edition Starter Pack or HPE VM Explorer Enterprise Edition Starter Pack is obligatory. Individual CPU Socket additions are applied on top of Starter Packs.

Getting back to your questions:

(1) the Licensing is  Socket * hypervisor host   or   the Licensing is  Socket * hypervisor "Guest"

-hypervisor host not guest

(2)if  2 server each 2 socket ,  each have 1 hypervisor host( example vSphere or hyper-v)  how to buy ?

-Each server needs it's own license

(3)if  3 server each 1 socket ,  each have  "1" hypervisor host( example vSphere or hyper-v)  how to buy ? Each server needs it's own license

-Each server needs it's own license

(4)by the way , each physical server hvae one hypervisor and many guests how to define the  Licensing  ...

-We do not limit amount of guests

Sandro Petruzzi
Respected Contributor.

Actually, I stand a little corrected.  The licenses are per "socket" based

having 2 Servers each with 2 sockets so  that would be a total of 4 sockets

therefore a Professional Edition  Starter pack that has 4 sockets included is enough

as for the second situation ...

3 server each one socket

means 3 sockets total

Same license would be required

ScottyGolden
Contributor.

Did the licensing change when HP bought this company? If this is now licensed on a per socket basis then why would I go with this product vs something like VEAM?

This product was an excellent choice due to it simplicity and it's lower costs.  Lose either of those and the ROI is not longer in favor.

MichaelFunke
Micro Focus Expert

The simplicity is still there and in case of any problems understanding the license structure, please contact our sales team: vmx.onlinesales@hpe.com.

Roger_Nelan
Contributor.

For me it isnt a problem understanding the license structure. That is pretty easy to grasp..

The problem that I am trying to wrap my head around is why HP would buy this product and then make it financially a barrier to their existing customers.. This kind of greed makes people like me look for other solutions.

If you would have 'grandfather'ed' the existing users in, I would still have a valid license and you would have a happy customer..

And, I would have gladly given you revenue..

Instead, greed took over.. And now you have none of my money..

MichaelFunke
Micro Focus Expert

The aim of this forum is discussing technical questions about this product.

For feedback regarding the pricing, please contact vmx.onlinesales@hpe.com.

A525-9410
New Member.

I think It's technical questions in the QucikSpec  . not sales or priceing question. 

because , in the few month ago ,  out region HPEr no one  can't answer that . 

MichaelFunke
Micro Focus Expert
Solution

The QuickSpec is very clear about this topic, on page 2 you can read:

Software Licensing
HPE VM Explorer is licensed by physical CPU sockets within hypervisor hosts that contain VMs to be backed-up.
Each instance must be licensed with a Starter Pack, and additional CPU sockets can be purchased to meet your environment.

In case this is not clear for you, please contact our sales team vmx.onlinesales@hpe.com for clarification.