cancel

VM Explorer Slow.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
YorkChan
Valued Contributor.

VM Explorer Slow.

Product:  HPE VM Explorer® 6.1.005 (64-bit)

Issue:  Backup Takes Long Time (Slow Transfer; Some Jobs Takes 800-1300 Minutes)

Details:  We deployed other solutions before (e.g. AppAssure and Veeam) and we just switched over to VMX.  The trial version (i.e. Manual Backup) was fine and obviously did not reflect the actual quantity of data being tansferred per the daily backup jobs.  Now that we are running it with daily scheduled tasks, we realized some jobs take hours to complete.  None of the solutions we deployed previously every took that long.  Any insight to rectify this issue would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

P.S.: The NAS (target) is using only a single gigabit NIC and this wasn't an issue before.  I can team the NIC with the remaining 3 for a 4Gbps trunk but why VMX and not required by other products ?

10 REPLIES
Sandeep Kumar S
Micro Focus Expert

Re: VM Explorer Slow.

Hello,

Please share us the logs and task report for further analysis. 

In the VMX Web Interface, go to "admin" -> "Settings" -> "Support" and click to "Generate New Debug Report". Download the zip file and provide it to us.

We shall look into it and suggest.

Regards,

Sandeep

YorkChan
Valued Contributor.

Thank you Sandeep, debug file attached.  Thank you in advance.  (By the way I renamed the file to ".zip.png" because the forum does not allow me to post ".zip" files.)

Sandeep Kumar S
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Please help us to share the task report showing slow backup so that I can match with the debugs. 

Regards,

Sandeep

YorkChan
Valued Contributor.

Sorry mate, not sure exactly what do you mean and what else must I do ...

Ashok Goyat
Respected Contributor.

Hello,

We would like to know the name of backup task or any particular VM name, which takes long time for backup, so that we can look debugs entries acordingly.

Also you may want to test backup without using VSS, just to check the difference between time taken by VSS and non VSS backup. Create a new backup task, select only one problamatic VM and perform VSS and Non VSS backup. 

From the menu go to Tasks -> Scheduled task and select a problematic (slow backup) scheduled task, edit it, select VSS Snapshot and select "Do not use VSS...... " option.

Note - The VSS ensures the consistency of the backup. Not using the VSS may grant you a faster performance but data consistency will not be guaranteed

Also, in Advance Settings, check if option "Write Data Directly to the disk without being buffered" is disabled.
This option permits to write directly to the disk without being buffered
Please note that using this option could slow down backup process if target is set to “Local Computer”.

Regards

Ashok Goyat

YorkChan
Valued Contributor.

1. I already turned VSS off - this is the first thing I try.

2. The "Wirte Directly ..." option is also disabled.  (In fact I don't believe it was ever enabled at all ...)

3. Here's a list of jobs and the duration from the day before, and I also added the avg. from Veeam.  (See the attached XLSX - once again I had to rename the file to "xlsx.png" in order to post to the forum)

YorkChan
Valued Contributor.
Solution

Doesn't look like we are going anywhere with the forum, therefore I'll close this thread and contact support directly.

Roger_Nelan
Contributor.

YorkChan, did you ever get a reply? I am experiencing the same issue, I cant figure out why I am only getting between 10-50MB/s... This is starting to suck..

alfoudam
New Member.

Hi,

Did anyone received an answer about this issue ?

The same happens in my backups and I found no way to contact support since Trilead has been purchased by HPE :-(

Thanx

Ashok Goyat
Respected Contributor.

Hi 

There are various factors involve in performance issues and hence a detailed investigation is needed.

Please open a support case either via our Software Support Online website. https://softwaresupport.hpe.com 

or via phone

To contact support by phone, please use this link to select your regional contact number. https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/support-contact-information 

Regards

Ashok Goyat