Issue: Backup Takes Long Time (Slow Transfer; Some Jobs Takes 800-1300 Minutes)
Details: We deployed other solutions before (e.g. AppAssure and Veeam) and we just switched over to VMX. The trial version (i.e. Manual Backup) was fine and obviously did not reflect the actual quantity of data being tansferred per the daily backup jobs. Now that we are running it with daily scheduled tasks, we realized some jobs take hours to complete. None of the solutions we deployed previously every took that long. Any insight to rectify this issue would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
P.S.: The NAS (target) is using only a single gigabit NIC and this wasn't an issue before. I can team the NIC with the remaining 3 for a 4Gbps trunk but why VMX and not required by other products ?
We would like to know the name of backup task or any particular VM name, which takes long time for backup, so that we can look debugs entries acordingly.
Also you may want to test backup without using VSS, just to check the difference between time taken by VSS and non VSS backup. Create a new backup task, select only one problamatic VM and perform VSS and Non VSS backup.
From the menu go to Tasks -> Scheduled task and select a problematic (slow backup) scheduled task, edit it, select VSS Snapshot and select "Do not use VSS...... " option.
Note - The VSS ensures the consistency of the backup. Not using the VSS may grant you a faster performance but data consistency will not be guaranteed
Also, in Advance Settings, check if option "Write Data Directly to the disk without being buffered" is disabled. This option permits to write directly to the disk without being buffered Please note that using this option could slow down backup process if target is set to “Local Computer”.
1. I already turned VSS off - this is the first thing I try.
2. The "Wirte Directly ..." option is also disabled. (In fact I don't believe it was ever enabled at all ...)
3. Here's a list of jobs and the duration from the day before, and I also added the avg. from Veeam. (See the attached XLSX - once again I had to rename the file to "xlsx.png" in order to post to the forum)