VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
cancel

Trilead for Datacenter V2V

Highlighted
Damin
Contributor.

Trilead for Datacenter V2V

Hello,

I am in the process of migrating about 60 virtual machines from one datacenter to another. The bandwidth available between the sites is only about 30 megabits / second, and the utilization varies, so a quick calculation shows that it will take about 700 hours to migrate the VMs given the average transfer rate. My question is this:

Can we take point-in-time backups using Trilead locally (on an external storage device), bring the initial backups to the destination datacenter, and then setup regularly scheduled synchronization / replications of just the changed blocks from the source to the destination? This way, we would avoid the massive time investment of doing the initial replication, and the subsequent updates would take far less time.

I've done this w/ Veeam in the past, as well as Vizioncore's ESX Replicator and Platspin. Can Trilead handle this as well? If so, it would avoid a lot of hassle.

3 REPLIES
Sandeep Kumar S
Honored Contributor.

Re: Trilead for Datacenter V2V

Hello,

About VM Explorer:

HPE VM Explorer is a Backup Solution for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V environments. Backup can be done to disk, tape or cloud. Advanced backup capabilities include incremental backups and replication, snapshot integration and native cloud support for leading Cloud platforms. With instant VM recovery, direct file level restore from the cloud, encryption, and verification, 

As the note says, it’s a backup software which has the above capabilities. One which you are looking for is more related to "Migration" task which is not available in this software. Point-in-time snapshot of VM's are taken during backup and this can be copied to an external HDD. This HDD can be taken to a different side -> Install VMX and perform the restore of each VM. This is an option. 

Replication feature is available between ESXi servers with VMX. As the bandwidth is low, this task cannot be achieved.

Hope the helps.

Regards,

Sandeep

Damin
Contributor.

Ok.. so what about a strategy of doing a Full backup, powering off the source VM, then doing an incremental backup over the wire w/ a restore / power-on in the target Datacenter?

Sandeep Kumar S
Honored Contributor.

Hello,

I am not sure if I am exactly getting your requirement. My thought, may be a simple one:

Power off the VM -> Take Full Backup To External HDD -> Install VMX on different site -> Restore the VM -> Power On

Doing incremental over WAN and restoring on different site will not work as this needs first full VM to be restored and then the increments.  Point in time could be difficult to achieve until unless you are some kind of migration software which VMX is not designed to.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sandeep