VM Explorer Practitioner Forum
cancel

Is data encrypted during transfer

Highlighted
wwoodpecker
New Member.

Is data encrypted during transfer

Hello,

We're evaluating VM Explorer to replace existing (and non-existing) software currently in use. As some backups would occur over internet from one office/datacenter to another, the question is if the transmitted data is encrypted? I see the option to encrypt virtual disks, but it's not clear to me when will this take place.

Thank You!

3 REPLIES
StephenAldous
Super Contributor.

Re: Is data encrypted during transfer

Hi, the answer depends on the use case. Are you using ESXi FREE edition or paid version?

For paid versions of ESXi, and if you have enabled the VDDK Service within VM Explorer, you will be using the VMware API and this is via HTTPS and therefore encrypted.

For FREE version of ESXi, you will have installed a VM Explorer agent on the ESXi host, and network transfer for this is not encrypted.

With the Enterprise Edition of VM Explorer, you can select "Encrypt Backup" option, and the data flow will be:

Source server -> VM Explorer -> Target server

So, from source to VMX data may be encrypted (if ESXi api are used), and from VM Explorer to target is encrypted by VM Explorer independently from the “channel” (ESXi api or Agent).

Hope this answers your question.

-Stephen.
wwoodpecker
New Member.

Thank you Stephen!

Yes, we are using a paid version of ESXi with vCenter. Our choice would be Enterprise version of VM Explorer using VMWare APIs, so I understand that the data is always encrypted.

Does the data flow change some way, if I select "Encrypt Backup"? Now I understand that the data is always encrypted during transfer, so selecting this option would just encrypt the backed up data, right?

Do the same principles apply to Hyper-V; we have also some Hyper-V hosts?

Thanks again!

StephenAldous
Super Contributor.

Hi, yes, enabling the "Encrypt Backup" option willl encrypt the data that is written to disk, separate to the network transfer encryption.

With Hyper-V, we always transfer data through sockets, so the network transfer is not encrypted (unless you use encrypt backup), then to the target will be encrypted.

-Stephen.