cancel

Hyper-V Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
nath81
Contributor.

Hyper-V Problem

I am currently using a trial key, but have now ordered the full version so would like to get this resolved.

A couple of my server 2012 R2 hosts have a problem when attempting to take a backup.  The connection tests all run fine, and I can see all of the machines on the host correctly.  When i attempt to take a backup I get the error in the attached image.

The logs are not telling me much, and I can take backups with the free version of Veeam from these hosts.  I also have other 2012 R2 host that are working fine with VM explorer. Any idea how to resolve this?

7 REPLIES
Sandeep Kumar S
Honored Contributor.

Re: Hyper-V Problem

Hello,

To understand better, share us  the logs for analysis:

1) In the Web Interface, go to "admin" -> "Settings" -> "Support" and click to "Generate New Debug Report". Download the zip file and provide it to us.
2) Task Report which contains the failure message.

Regards,

Sandeep

nath81
Contributor.

Hi Sandeep

I have sent you a PM with a link to the debug report.

The task details message is:

Cannot examine configuration file of LRDHRAPP: LS error on lrdappvhhr(This request operation sent to net.tcp://lrdappvhhr:9000/VMXAgentSupervisor did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00). The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message. Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.)

Regards

Nathan

Sandeep Kumar S
Honored Contributor.

Hello Nathan,

From the debugs, it seems that the problem is caused by some missing communication with the HPE VM Explorer Agent Manager deployed on the problematic Hyper-V hosts from the VMX Server. 

On the VMX web interface -> DataCenter select the Hyper-V host. Under "Agent Manager" tab first select "Restart" to Restart the Agent Manager Service. If successful, test the backup again.

If the backup fails, then "Deploy" the "Agent Manager" package again. If successful, test the backup again.

7.JPG

Still if the backup fails, remove the agent service from the Hyper-V host using "Remove". Download the below package "HPE VM Explorer Hyper-V Service Build 6.2.001" from the URL below:

Agent Download URL: http://www.trilead.com/Download/Agent/

Manually install the MSI file on the Hyper-V host. Verify that the “HPE VM Explorer Agent Manager Service" is running. Test the backup and let us know the result. 

Latest Logs can be shared if the backup fails.

Regards,

Sandeep

nath81
Contributor.

Thanks for getting back to me.

The error message is now gone, but the task just hangs at the "Creating backup snapshot on ....." stage.  The only way I can stop the task is by restarting the server service or the service on the host.

I will send you another PM with the debug log.

Regards

Nathan

Sandeep Kumar S
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hello Nathan,

Looking the error, it looks more related to VSS issue on Hyper-V host:

==================================

[3760] 18/10/2016 14:09:08 [1260477] Creating backup VSS snapshot on VM: lrdappvhhr/LRDHRAPP
[3760] 18/10/2016 14:09:08 [1260477] Using "Default VSS Provider" for volume "d:\"
[3760] 18/10/2016 14:31:54 [ERROR] [1260477] TDCWinBrowser CreateSnapshot unexpected error: The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '00:00:59.9989999'.
[3760] 18/10/2016 14:31:54 [ERROR] [1260477] BackupExecutor: Could not create snapshot.
See Trilead KB http://www.trilead.com/FAQ/?qi=2006
[3760] 18/10/2016 14:31:54 [ERROR] [1260477] Perform Hyper-V Full Backup exception: Could not create snapshot.
See Trilead KB http://www.trilead.com/FAQ/?qi=2006
[3760] 18/10/2016 14:31:54 The task has been aborted (Aborting, key pressed)

===============================================

Looking at the Hyper-V logs we see this:

[6884] 18/10/2016 14:05:17 [ERROR] Snapshot Error: InitializeForBackup failed with error 0x80042302: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
Check the Application event log for more information.

You might need to check the windows event logs for more information on the error. Also you can check the below:

1) Check the writer status "vssadmin list writers".

2) Manually create snapshot of the Hyper-V VM.

Hope this helps.

Sandeep

nath81
Contributor.

Hi Sandeep

I finally resolved this by updating the integration services on the VMs on the affected hosts.  I can now do backups successfully..

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Nathan

Sandeep Kumar S
Honored Contributor.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO.