UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

uCMDB licencing

Highlighted
David Johannsso
Trusted Contributor.

uCMDB licencing

Can any one elaborate how uCMDB licencing works?

Is there anything I need to count in my environment or what? I don't have a clue to how uCMDB licencing scheme works :)

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Performance Mgnt (BAC / BSM) to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

18 REPLIES
Dmitry Shevchenko
HPE Expert

Re: uCMDB licencing

1. UCMDB foundation is included in the purchase price. Nothing to worry about.
2. DDM is licensed by OS Instance of discovered servers whether the OS Instance is hosted on a physical or virtual server (100 OS Instance min for new purchases).
3. The licensing for integration only (i.e. no discovery) is based on servers, whether physical or virtual, that will be imported into the UCMDB.
David Johannsso
Trusted Contributor.

So basically there is nothing to worry about unless I have 100+ DDM probes right?
Dmitry Shevchenko
HPE Expert

DDM probes are not licensed, so whether you have 1 DDM Probe or 1000 DDM probes it doesn't make any difference from licensing standpoint.
David Johannsso
Trusted Contributor.

Correct me if wrong, I have to report the number of Host CIs in order to have the right amount of licences reported to HP?
Dmitry Shevchenko
HPE Expert

That's correct.
sconway
Super Contributor.

Hi Dmitry

I did not have any issue with licensing. I have ucmdb 8.02 and I have advanced license.

After reading this post, I am confused
Dmitry Shevchenko
HPE Expert

As I don't want to guess why you are confused I cannot comment further. I explained the way uCMDB/DDM is currently licensed. In the past it was licensed by CPU Cores, not by OS Instances. Just FYI. By the way, the uCMDB/DDM 8.x licensing mechanism doesn't enforce the actual number of OS Instances being discovered.
sconway
Super Contributor.

Thanks Dmitry, I also did not notice any restrictions on number of CPU cores discovered.

For that matter I have never been told about the restrictions with licensing. Thats why I want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Merry M
Regular Contributor.

Hi, we are running uCMDB 8.04 and have been discovering all network devices and installed software and other applications. From my understanding, the licensing enforces the level of detail you can discover and not the number of hosts, CPUs or OS you can discover. But my manager came to me with a concern because when my company first purchased uCMDB it had a statement that said "licensed in uCMDB for 1200 "HP DDM AE CPU SW E-LTU". Does anyone know what this means? I know we have more than 1200 hosts already discovered but I don't want to run into any issues.

Does the uCMDB licensing also limit how many CIs you can discover?

Thanks,

Merry
Dmitry Shevchenko
HPE Expert

1200 "HP DDM AE CPU SW E-LTU" means you are allowed to discover servers with up to 1200 CPU cores in total. In other words, if you discover 300 servers with 4 CPU cores each you reach the limit. Network devices are not counted at all. As I said this limit is not enforced, so uCMDB will allow you to discover more servers, but it would be a violation of the license agreement.

No, uCMDB licensing doesn't limit the number of CIs. In the past it limited the total number of CPU cores (old licensing mechanism). Now it limits the total number of OS instances (new licensing mechanism).
Merry M
Regular Contributor.

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Merry
VitalyVyblov
Trusted Contributor.

Re: uCMDB licensing

Hi there, I have another one question about ucmdb licensing.

Well, i just want to use ucmdb 10.10 with foundation license and make all my tasks by the hand. I won't use discovering or integrations, i just want to fill  my CI universe by the hand and work with it.  Will it cost anything, or it will be like a free use? Downloaded iso doesn't contain foundation license. Included license expires shortly.

Where can i take foundation license?

Regards,

V.

Dmitry Shevchenko
HPE Expert

You are entitled to a free UCMDB foundation license only as part of SM, AM, CSA or UD purchase. If you didn't purchase any of the products mentioned above there is no free foundation license for you. And in this case the cheapest possible option to get UCMDB foundation is to purchase UDI 100 OS Instance license. Why 100? Because they are sold in 100 OS Instances chunks.

Praveen_Shan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Dmitry,

I read the post and the following statements caught my attention.

"By the way, the uCMDB/DDM 8.x licensing mechanism doesn't enforce the actual number of OS Instances being discovered."

"As I said this limit is not enforced, so uCMDB will allow you to discover more servers, but it would be a violation of the license agreement."

Does this mechanism apply to uCMDB 9.x advanced license as well ?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ucmdb-license>
        <hash>abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvyxyzabcdef</hash>
        <customer-name>XXXX</customer-name>
        <type>advanced</type>
        <blocked-applications/>
        <permitted-packages all-packages-permitted="true">
                <package/>
        </permitted-packages>
        <number-of-os-instances>26250</number-of-os-instances>
        <number-of-cpus>0</number-of-cpus>
        <number-of-ips>-1</number-of-ips>
        <expiration-date/>
</ucmdb-license>

Kindly oblige.

Thanks,

Praveen

Rutger
Honored Contributor.

Hi Dmitry,

3 more questions to add to this thread, sorry to keep bothering you.

1) How does the OS instance counting work?

1a) Can I replicate it by counting hosts with populated discoveredOs attrs?

1b) If 1a = No, do you have a TQL I could use?

2) Is a weighted calculation for VMs in place, or are VMs considered the same as physical hosts?

3) How does the OS instance counting work for CM?

Thanks,

Rutger

Brian_A
Contributor.

Does anyone know the menu path from the admin console in UCMDB v9.x and/or UCMDB v10.x to obtain the CI Instances Count? I need to produce a report to understand how many more licenses I need to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Ashokkumar_2
Respected Contributor.

Hi

You can check the count of Computer CI type.

Rutger
Honored Contributor.

10.11: Reports Manager -> Custom Reports -> Custom -> Administration -> Licensed OSIs Report

or alternatively this shortcut:

Compliance button (Admin GUI status bar) -> Report button

Note: you mention "CI instance count", however, from version 10, licensing is based on the amount of Operating System instances in your UCMDB.