The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uCMDB Standalone with Oracle Client

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jov
Honored Contributor

uCMDB Standalone with Oracle Client

Hi All,

Has anyone tried using uCMDB 8.x on Windows with a Linux/Unix Oracle 10g R2 Database backend?

If so which version of the Windows client did you use, 32 or 64bit?

I've managed to install uCMDB complete with the 64bit Oracle client, but some functions seems to not work correctly and I am in the process of the isolating the issue.

HP Doco only mention supported Oracle `Databases` and nothing regardng the client side on a mix platform environment.

Cheers
Jov

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

8 REPLIES
Atul72

Re: uCMDB Standalone with Oracle Client

Hi,

We are using HP UCMDB 8.0 on Windows Server 2003 with 32 bit and Oracle as DB.
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You're running the Oracle DB on Windows? If so, thanks, but I am after feedback of those running it on non-Windows.

Jov
Alexander Arkhi
Honored Contributor

In general, UCMDB doesn't care what's the platform of DataBase itself (I've used a lot with different DB types & underneath platforms).
The only concern here is performance concern, hence I'd suggest to use non-windows platform to avoid performance issues.

Also, you don't need an Oracle client installed for UCMDB to use Oracle DB.

Regards,
Alex.
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thats what I thought, its using JDBC provided by the installation media, but I am a experencing a strange issue with a fresh install of uCMDB 8.00 and need to eliminate possible causes.

The issue is under Admin -> Settings-> Package Manager, No Packages are displayed. This even after manual upload of a package.

Anyway, the official uCMDB Database guide specified you need 4 components (page 210) for Oracle Client.

Cheers
Jov
Alexander Arkhi
Honored Contributor

Well, believe me, UCMDB doesn't need an Oracle Client installed on local (UCMDB) machine even earlier than from 8.0 version.

However as for this particular issue - could you provide "mam.packaging.log" either from EJBContainer or from mam folder (the one which is not empty)?
Jov
Honored Contributor

From the log, there seem to be an issue loading the "Model External Relationships.xml" from the Perspectives package.

See attachment.

Jov
Alexander Arkhi
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would say it's rather a problem either with DataBase server itself or with your connection to it as while system tries to get a list of packages, it fails with data access layer error (no more data available to read).

Can you assure there are no network connectivity issues between UCMDB & DB Server?
Also, try to de-install Oracle client, restart UCMDB and see how it works.
If you will experience any issues, provide cmdb.dal.log (again, the one which's not empty).
Jov
Honored Contributor

Alexander,

You're spot on! There is an issue with the DB platform provided to use and the connection gets terminated. Not sure if its network or the database/OS itself.

I had to install Oracle on another machine to provide this to the DBA.

Good spotting and I owe you one.

Cheers
Joe
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event