UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uCMDB Network topology with the host issue

Highlighted
Aayush56
Super Collector

uCMDB Network topology with the host issue

Hi There,

I am using the uCMDB 10.20 CP 15.
I am not able to discover the topology between switch and the host.

I alraedy run the below jobs
- Host Connection by SNMP job
- Host Networking by SNMP job
- VLANS by SNMP job
- VLAN ports by SNMP job
- Layer2 Topology Bridge-based by SNMP job
- Layer2 Topology VLAN-based by SNMP job

I found some Layer2connection as correct that are connected to the host as i need to find 

but i didn't get the host which is attched to some switches.Attached  is the Screen shot which i am getting.

These host are actually the vios server of IBM and when i checked through the SNMPWALK whether the snmp is enabled or not but that was enable.

Now my question is that for finding the correct topology

1.SNMP has to be enabled to both the sides (switch and the server) 

2. Which version of snmp agent is needed to discover the vios server 

3. If a host is discovered by some other job then if we want to discover the topology by some other job. will it discover the topology with that job.

or there any other thing i am lacking in finding the topology.

10 REPLIES
OpenView_Mike
Frequent Visitor

Re: uCMDB Network topology with the host issue

I am experiencing this same issue, and believe this will be resolved by installing and configuring the SNMP Agent on the server.

I am in the middle of testing this now, and I will let you know the outcome.

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Aayush56
Super Collector

Hi Michael,

Thanks for providing the suggesstion on the issue.

Could you please tell me what version of snmp you are going to use v2 or v3 on the host side.

OpenView_Mike
Frequent Visitor

SNMP v2c on the host side, and v3 on the switch/router side.

I opened a case with support about this, and they basically said that this has been an issue since NNMi v9.x, and the Product Manager has denied enhancement requests to fix this until this moment, which is shocking to me.

Anyways, I am in the middle of running discoveries in NNMi and uCMDB and will report back ASAP.

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Aayush56
Super Collector

Michael,

Right now we are using the SNMP v2 on both the sides.

But now we need to use the v3 version for the host and switch is already discovered through v2 version.

So will they compatiable in discovery?

Also we are not using the NNMI in our environment.

Regards

Ayush 

OpenView_Mike
Frequent Visitor

The key is the Layer2Connection CI, which should be discovered, if using SNMP v2c or v3.

However, given my experimentation thus far, only NNMi finds this connection, and the NNMi integration with uCMDB is currently inadequate, since it sends over all of the NNMi inventory as CI Type Node versus Switch, Router, etc.

Because of this, the uCMDB/RTSM Impact Rule for downstream suppression of events may not work.

I need to get a friend of mine on the network team to open up SNMP for a particular switch and perform discovery in uCMDB on that switch. Then, I will let you know my results.

In short, the NNMi discovery does work fine, regarding the Host <=> Switch Layer2Connection.

uCMDB results to be reported later today or tomorrow.

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Aayush56
Super Collector

Hi Michael,

It's good to hear that somewhere you discovered the topology.

I also configured the SNMP v3 on the host side but still i am not able to find the correct topology in the uCMDB.

I am getting the same topology as i got earlier.Also i already able to discover the Layer2Connection as you can see in the attchment.

Also now switches are discovered through the v2 version and host is on v3 version .Are they compatible in making the contact.

So if i try to discover from the host side .Should i will be to discover the topology 

Regards

Ayush 

OpenView_Mike
Frequent Visitor

Yes, as I said in my last response, they should be compatible, but there's only one way to find out. Do it. ;-)

When you indicate that you are not finding the correct topology in uCMDB, please give me details as to what this means exactly? Thanks.

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Aayush56
Super Collector

Hi Michael,

By correct topology i mean that the host(its a vios server) topology that is not coming.

Regrads

Ayush Jain

OpenView_Mike
Frequent Visitor

Are you referring to Vios-specific CIs being included in the topology?

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Aayush56
Super Collector

Yes the vios one are not coming in the topology but they are discovered in the ucmdb but in the topology they are mapped with the switch
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event