UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two UD agents on the same system ?

Highlighted
Ken Strauss_2
Frequent Visitor

Two UD agents on the same system ?

Has anyone found any potential issues with running two UD agents on the same end-node to report to two different instances of uCMDB

6 REPLIES
Roy O Gatewood_
Honored Contributor

Re: Two UD agents on the same system ?

Not sure I understand you buisness case or use here.

There are many issues with this approach e.g. port conflict, DFM access, registry keys etc.

The UD Agent commuicates to the DFM (only one) and the DFM communicates to the UCMDB Server (only one)

Mulitple Agents are not supported.

I would suggest you consider replication from one UCMDB instance to another via an Integration Point.

Sree_CMS
HPE Blogger

UD agents in unix and windows generate a unique id (ud_unique_id).. This ID will be used for identification and reconcilliation rule.

I dont see any valid reasons for having 2 UD agents on the same machine. The installer will not allow as it checks for existence of UD agents. 

Ken Strauss_2
Frequent Visitor

The original idea was to have one agent reporting to our test instance of uCM and one reporting to our prod instance of uCM.

Roy O Gatewood_
Honored Contributor

Agent usage is always a puzzle for me.

Unless you have devices which are not connected to the network most of the time, have credential issue or just want usage data you would be better served using agent-less discovery especially in a data center environment.

Sree_CMS
HPE Blogger

A single UD agent can be discovered by multiple UD application servers. You need to make sure you have the same UD certs available in all CMS systems. Currently there is no way to copy a cert from one server to other.

The workaround is to export the domain credentials via JMX console and import them to CMS server where you need same UD certs. Then you can use copy function available domain manager to move the credential from a copied domain to new one. 

Ken Strauss_2
Frequent Visitor

Great stuff.

Actually the use case was to have several machines in Dev and Test pointed to our Dev/Prod instances pr iTest/Prod instances by using multiple agent the idea was that we could upgrade(patch) the agents per policy promoting them through the environments for I.T. while retaining full inventory/asset information for the business.

As it works out we'll just have to move some nodes back into Dev & Test then upgrade/patch them there and then be able to ge tapprovals to move the upgrade/patch into production.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event