The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering of Schdeuling discovery jobs

Highlighted
atrocious
Regular Collector

Ordering of Schdeuling discovery jobs

Hi All - I have UCMDB V9 installed. We have Host Connection by Shell,SNMP and WMI discoveries running in the environment. I have scheduled these discoveries randomly, thinking they dont have any dependencies.

Do these jobs have dependencies on one another , in terms of discovery.

e.g. Need to run these in this order Shell>WMI >SNMP. Does the ordering of jobs have any significance of faster running the discovery? Any logic here. Thanks,

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES
PuneetS
Frequent Visitor

Re: Ordering of Schdeuling discovery jobs

You don't have to follow any order, all three of them use different protocols and you can run them in any order depending upon which protocol is enabled on your host.

Regards
Puneet

If you find this reply helpful, Click the KUDOS button on the bottom to say 'Thanks'
atrocious
Regular Collector

Thanks Puneet. In my environment I am discovering network &snmp; windows through snmp protocol as they are using the community string for discovery and then the shell discovery for unix etc.

The host goes through these discoveries but is there any dependencies so that  the discovery time is reduced in a production environemnt.

PuneetS
Frequent Visitor

As you mentioned that both jobs will run on different nodes, as below:

"Host Connection by Shell" on Unix boxes

"Host Connection by SNMP" on Windows boxes

So ideally under Shell protocol credentials specify ip addresses of only Unix boxes and under SNMP protocol credentials specify ip addresses of only Windows boxes.

Now you can run jobs in any order, even simultaneously.

Regards
Puneet

If you find this reply helpful, Click the KUDOS button on the bottom to say 'Thanks'
atrocious
Regular Collector

Hi Puneet - I have specified the range as All in credential. Client does not want to specify specific ranges as it becomes a manual activity with lot of ranges in infra

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event