UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

New to UCMDB9.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Hunter Satterwh
Valued Contributor.

New to UCMDB9.0

I'm very new to UCMDB 9.0 and we have it installed and running with one probe. We've discovered in 10 nodes using the basic discovery configuration tool. I've been pouring over the available PDF downloads and I can't make heads or tails of modeling, views, etc. or when we need to expand to using another probe. Any insight or advice for a new comer will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. This thread has been moevd CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum moderator

9 REPLIES
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

Re: New to UCMDB9.0

Hi,

Good that you have discovered the 10 nodes, what are the various CITs that have been created during these discovery will give you some help to create views. Ex: Node and IP are related. To understand which node is associated to which IP you can create a view and identify them. How to create a view the PDF downloads will help you.

Further try to undertand what each job does and then perform the discovery using other jobs (based on the requirement).

Its suggested to have one Probe in each DataCenter and firewall is enabled between these.

If the no of CI's are more than 1Lac, then its suggested to go for second probes and so on.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy.
haytham_hosny
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi ,

you have to read the UCMDB guides , it's very good way to understand what should you do after discovery:

- DFM Guide
- Modeling Guide

Thanks
Haytham Hosny
Haytham Hosny
Hunter Satterwh
Valued Contributor.

@NagendraPaladi
Thanks for replying. We're discovering nodes, OS, CPU, Memory, and Filesystems right now. Pretty basic, and I've done it use the basic infrastructure discovery mode. What do you mean by "if the no of CI's are more than 1Lac"? Also when I go in to Modeling -> IT Universe Manager I can select a discovered node and in it's information pane the following data is not populated: Windows IE Version, Windows Kernel, Windows Main Processor Speed, Windows Main Processor Type, Windows Processor Number. However I can find the CPU's related to the node, drill down in to them, and view this information. Any way I can get it to populate for that node CI when it discovers/rediscovers nodes?

@haytham_hosny
Thanks to you too for reply! I've read the majority of the guides and am now able to navigate the interface. Spent yesterday reading through DFM and I started on the modeling guide. The modeling guide is slightly confusing. I'm going to reread DFM today, take some notes on it, and then really start the modeling guide by itself.

I really appreciate the replies!
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

The discovery job internally contains the jython scripts which will run the wmi query for windows and get the details. If the WMI query does not provide the values the discovey will leave the specific attributes as NULL. The results from the WMI should be as per the HP/Industry standards else the values will be NULL.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy
Hunter Satterwh
Valued Contributor.

@NagendraPaladi
Thanks for that info on the jython WMI script. Is there any way I can relate the CPU CI information to those values for the nodes or can I modify the jython script to capture that information for me?
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.
Solution

the no CI 100000: - Let us suppose you have discovered 10 windows servers then you have is 10 CI( of windows type). If you have 20 CPU discovered then you have 20 CI (of CPU Type). on the whole you have 30 CI (Wndows + CPU ). You can find the total no of CIs in the environment on the IT Universe Manager. So you have more than 100000 CIs then its good to have a second probe and so on.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy.
Hunter Satterwh
Valued Contributor.

@NagendraPaladi
Thanks for the info on probe scaling. I would assume that this count total would include nodes, infrastructure nodes, software, etc.?
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

Yes @Probe Scaling

There is no need to update any code to create the relationship between CPU CI and node CI. The relationship gets generated automatically once the discovery is completed. Go to the Modeling Studio and Create a new view. Drag the node CI and CPU CI. Now relate both of them using dependency relationship type. Go through the Modeling Guide to uderstand how to create a view.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy P.
Hunter Satterwh
Valued Contributor.

@NagendraPaladi
Wonderful! You've been a great help. Thanks for time Nagendra.