UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

Name of the applications that originated processes

Highlighted
pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

Name of the applications that originated processes

I'm trying to find the name of the applications that give resulted in processes that are accessing a specific port.
I can find the processes, but when I look for the name of the application that originated only appears Running Software.

The job that found the Running software was  Network Connectivity Data Analyzer.

Is there somewhere that you can change to meet the demand to application name that originated the process?

17 REPLIES
b_bravi
Frequent Visitor

Re: Name of the applications that originated processes

To my understanding, you are trying to find the application name using the process CIs.

If that is so, may be you try to get the process arguments or process name or process path, which might help you to get the application name.

Hope it helps.

pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

The problem is that for example the process may be Java.exe being used by another application. That is if they find the process path he will give the java directory and not of apalicação who used it.

What I want to know is the application that invoked the java.exe or other generic applications.
Dima Gomel
HPE Expert

Please check feature called Application Signature in UCMDB documentation.

It two words, it giving you option to associate name for specific application by referencing name of the process, path and port.

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Fiddler
Super Collector

I have the same challenge.

I need to find the applications that are using the processes but if I don't specify the applications in the "applicationsSignature.xml" it won't find it. In this situation I get "RunningSoftware" created by "Network Connectivity Data Analyzer".

So, I need to identify the files (executables, vbs scripts, ...) that have a dependency (are using) of that process.

Dima Gomel
HPE Expert

Dear Fiddler,

I'm not sure what your challenge is.

Most of well know and widely used software has ready signature and could be recognized OTTB.

For home grown applications there is an option to add custom signatures.

Every new CP bring additional functionality. For instance CP11-12 bring following two features:

• Support two modes of matching for parse-rule patterns
    New attribute was added for parse-rule element - method - which specifies the type of pattern matching.
    These methods are match and search, where match is the default and used when attribute is not specified.

Example:

<Application-Component app_id="EMC Autostart on Unix" name="EMC AutoStart Cluster SW" ci_type="cluster_software" category="Cluster" supported_versions="5.x">
    <parse-rule id="domain" name="cmdline" method="search">-domain\s+([\w-]+)</parse-rule>
</Application-Component>

• Support for ignore-case matching of processes
    New attribute was added for process element - ignore-case - which specifies whether name matching for process should ignore the case or not.
    This boolean attribute accepts values true and false, false is the default and used when attribute is not specified.

Example:

<Application-Component app_id="Oracle by oracle.exe process" name="Oracle DB" category="Database" ci_type="oracle" supported_versions="9i, 10g, 11g" vendor="oracle_corp">
    <process name="ENCSVC.EXE" ignore-case="false" ports="None" cmdline="" description="Oracle SNMP Peer Encapsulator." />
</Application-Component>

If some functionality is missing, in your opinion, you can raise an enhancement request.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Fiddler
Super Collector

Hi Dima,

I need to discover applications that are home grown applications and are not documented.

My starting point are processes that establish access to some filtered IPServiceEndpoints and I must find the files that uses that processes.

Fiddler
Super Collector

According to the answers I assume that in this case we'll probably need a customization...
pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dima!

What I want to know, is the case of a generic application, for example, the java application which is originate a process java.exe?
In the attachements i'm sending a picture to help understand the problem I'm dealing with.
In the case of java.exe, is running software associated with the process, I needed to know the name of the software running.

Regards,
Rui

b_bravi
Frequent Visitor

Are you expecting to see your application be named as running software for respective java process ?

pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

Hi b-bravi.
It was expected that
had the name of the application you are using the java process, not running software.

Dima Gomel
HPE Expert

All Java based application will have java.exe in the path but different values in command line.

You can use "cmdline" parameter in process difinition. As example please check definition for HP Slassfish in CP11:

<Application-Component app_id="Glassfish 3.x on Windows" name="Glassfish AS" category="J2EE Server" ci_type="glassfishas" supported_versions="1.x, 2.x, 3.x" vendor="oracle_corp" discover="true">
           <process name="java.exe" main-process="true" ports="all" cmdline="com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.ASMain">
                     <service-endpoint-name>glassfish</service-endpoint-name>
           </process>
</Application-Component>

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

The description have on the command line of the processes is as follows:

"C: \ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.6.0_21 \ bin \ java"-server-Dprogram.name = run.bat-XX: MaxPermSize = 128m-Xms256m-Xmx512m-Djava.endorsed.dirs =.. / Lib / endorsed-Djava.library.path = ".. / lib"-classpath ".. / lib / wrapper.jar; C: \ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.6.0_21/lib/tools.jar;. / run.jar "-Dwrapper.key =" 15c2wub0MuAkala "-Dwrapper.port-Dwrapper.jvm.port.min = 32 001 = 31 000 = 31 999-Dwrapper.jvm.port.max-10152-Dwrapper.pid = Dwrapper.version =" 3.2.3 "-Dwrapper.native_library =" wrapper "-Dwrapper.service =" TRUE "-Dwrapper.cpu.timeout =" 10 "= 1-Dwrapper.jvmid org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp org.jboss.Main

But I can not understand what it means. Other processes appear to directory which are running, in the case of the java it appears the text show before.
Dima Gomel
HPE Expert

That's a command line that starting your application. run.bat is a starting file and run.jar is a java app itself. Changing the name to somethign more meaningfull will give you an option to dicover specific application.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

Although triggered tell where the java program start, does not say which  program  start java.

The java only provides the basis for other applications. He will not start alone, Java alone do nothing.

Dima Gomel
HPE Expert

I know what the Java is :).

In your case run.bat is starting Java.

Check it out.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Dima Gomel
HPE Expert

Hi,

Would you mind telling us about progress?

Was the problem solved?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
pinheiro2013
Occasional Contributor

As I said, the java is started by other applications. Despite being start in run.bat, i'm was sure another application that ran the run.bat, ie, java do not started alone.

Still have not figured out who started the java, just continues to be listed as java.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event