UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

How to setup Folding Rule & Folding relationshipts to CI in ucmdb

Highlighted
VeerRaju
Super Contributor.

How to setup Folding Rule & Folding relationshipts to CI in ucmdb

Dear All,

I have created one view in UCMDB,But I need to set Cardinality link,Folding Rule and Folding Relationship to the view?.

Please suggest me how can I do these things in UCMDB?.

Thanks,
VeerRaju.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

12 REPLIES
Anjeneya.dubey
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: How to setup Folding Rule & Folding relationshipts to CI in ucmdb

cardinality is used for changing the min and max relationships two nodes can share. for eg in a tql you have a host and CPUs. if cardinality is 1.* you will have minimum Host CPU relation as 1 and maximum infinte. this will not show any hst whihc has 0 CPU.

For folding rules you cna create from view manager by right clicking on the view and adding a rule. Folding rule is used for hiding nodes from view.
Alexander Arkhi
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Folding rules are special kind of rules which instruct Viewing System to build up the view in the proper manner.

E.g. you have a Host -> IP topology. If the folding rule for relationship is set to "None", you will have the flat (one-layer) topology with both - nodes & links.
If you will set "Parent" folding rule, your top layer will contain Hosts and drilling down to particular host will bring you to the layer with the IPs connected to this host.
Vice versa for "Child" folding rule...

Cardinality is being set in "Node properties" dialog, cardinality tab.
Folding Rules may be applied either from context menu for the relationship itself (on the map) or from the context menu for the view entity in left pane with resources.
If you will apply folding rules for view, they will be applied to all the matching triplets (CI -(Link)> CI) in the view, but specific folding rules (defined on relationship level) will win.
VeerRaju
Super Contributor.

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your prominent reply. I will get back to you in case I have any queries.

Thanks,
VeerRaju.
VeerRaju
Super Contributor.

Hi Anjenya,

So please let me know how can I set Cardinality link in the view?.

Thanks,
VeerRaju.
Anjeneya.dubey
Outstanding Contributor.

right click on the node in view manager and go to properties. you have cardinality there.
VeerRaju
Super Contributor.

Dear All,

I am attaching my view in the attached document. Please suggest me how can I write folding relationship rule to this view.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
VeerRaju.
Alexander Arkhi
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'd suggest to create a general folding rule (over the view - from view context menu).
IT World -(IT World Link)> IT World with folding type "Parent".

Cheers,
Alex.
Pritam Majumder
Respected Contributor.

Hi Veerraju
in the vew manager you will get information pane at the bottom for each view. click on any node and the click cardinality and you will see all the cardinality values for that node.
Suppose j2ee domain has link with host, jdbc data source, j2ee cluster you will get 4 rows in cardinality with AND or OR relations.
e.g
container link (host, j2ee domain): 1..* it means if at least 1 j2ee domain is connected to host, it will show in the IT universe, but if there is no host connected to any j2ee domain nothing will show in IT universe.

Another example
j2ee server is connected with j2ee cluster and j2ee application.
we have 5 j2ee servers out of which 3 have j2ee applications deployed under them. now if cardinality between j2ee server and j2ee application is 1..* then in the it universe only 3 j2ee servers will come. but if you make cardinality 0..* then all the j2ee servers will come in it universe.

hope it clears. you can test by changing the cardinality values and see the results..
Pritam Majumder
Respected Contributor.

For folding rule right click on the relationship link and from Add relationship folding rule select parent. In this way if you have many no of nodes, they will be grouped together under the parent node.
dcsbeemer
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi all

Apologies beforehand if this is potentially a daft question, but I'm trying to wrap my head around BSM9. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a parent relationship in BSM9's modeling studio, specifically for a view with a Sitescope group CI (parent) and a Sitescope monitor CI (child).

Does this still exist? If not, what's the equivalent?

Sujith Kumar C.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can create relationships in IT Universe Manager by right-clicking a CI or multiple CIs in the CI Selector pane or the Topology Map and selecting Relate to CI from the shortcut menu. In the Topology Map, you can define a
relationship between two CIs in the view by drawing a line between the two, using the Create Relationship button from the toolbar. Either of these actions opens the Insert Relationship dialog box.

--Sujith

Close the thread if your issue is resolved to make the thread meaningful and complete. Do show gratitude to people who helped you by assigning points.
dcsbeemer
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Sujith

Thanks for the help. I still can't figure out how I would go about achieving the same result in BSM9 as what I usually do in BAC8 by specifying the relationship type as includes, then set the folding type as parent.

The problem is I can set the relationship to includes, which sort of has the same effect as what I want. In BAC8 though, I can set the cardinality to minimum 0 and maximum * which picks up any child SiS CIs. The way I have it in BSM9 at the moment though, if I set the cardinality to minimum 0 and maximum *, it picks up any and all SiS CIs.

I'm not sure if I explained it correctly, but what it boils down to is it seems that being able to set a parent/ child relationship between two SiS CIs no longer exists in BSM9. I'm sure there must be a way of achieving the same result, but I just have no idea how.