UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

How to discover Hardware and software information using UCMDB 10.10

Highlighted
sagar Bhattacha
Respected Contributor.

How to discover Hardware and software information using UCMDB 10.10

Hi Expert, I have installed Ucmdb 10.10 and incorporate the licenses. Now I have ran discovery from the Data flow management --> universal discovery --> Create new management Zone and provide the IP range and activate Infrastructure and basic software discovery. The discovery ran very successfully and find out more than 500 devices.

I am using WMI potocol for discovery infrasture and software basic purpose.  I have unable to see all the software which are installed and configure in the desktops   and servers  as well as unable to see CPU, Memory, Disk etc .

I am very New so I would like to request how can I configure UCMDB to see the hardware and software inventory for servers and desktops.

Regards

Sagar

2 REPLIES
ludvigpersson
Trusted Contributor.

Re: How to discover Hardware and software information using UCMDB 10.10

Hi, 

I would advise that you read the "HP Universal CMDB Data Flow Management Guide"(link below) and specifically about "Inventory Discovery". 

With Inventory Discovery you can get deeper information about installed software. You can choose between "Basic Inventory Discovery" and "Inventory Discovery by Scanners". The basic inventory discovery is not as comprehensive as the Scanner Based but might be enough for your needs.  By deploying Scanners that scan the filesystem and matches files against an application recognition library, you can retrieve alot of information about installed software on each node/device.

But you should be aware of the extra footprint and you should be clear on whether you are allowed to do this. That is why it is important that you read the documentation so that you get an understanding of the discovery workflow and possible performance/security issues. 

You may also want to look into the "Discovery Troubleshooter" to see why some items may not be discovered properly, this is also documented in the document below.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00642628?searchIdentifier=4e576430%3a14710010330%3a-57b5&resultType=document&documentURL=KM00642628&resultsURL=%2fselfsolve%2fdocuments&allowReturn=true&searchString=data+flow&searchKey=2014-07-07+12%3a23%3a37

sagar Bhattacha
Respected Contributor.

Re: How to discover Hardware and software information using UCMDB 10.10

Hi

Thanks for share document. Now I am able to discover installed software using HP UD.

Regards

Sagar