UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

Duplicate CIs in UCMDB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Duplicate CIs in UCMDB

I just extracted some list of CIs into Excel, and found that there are lot of duplicate CIs for E.g. CI- "bdc-extra039" – UCMDB has 3 entries. 1 with model ProLiant DL380 G3 and another with model VMware Virtual Platform.

How do i avoid duplicates, and how do i make sure that which Ci is the correct one.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum moderator

20 REPLIES
haytham_hosny
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Duplicate CIs in UCMDB

Hi ,

which UCMDB version do you have?

Thanks
Haytham Hosny
Haytham Hosny
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hi Sree,

Check the CI whose Last Access time is the latest. That CI should be the current original one and the rest will be duplicate. The time difference between should be one discovery cycle.

If the LAST Access Time for the duplicate CIS does not help you then Check which attribute has been set as unique (primary key) for the host/node CIT. Mostly it will be Host Key. If that is the case then you need to log on to the server identify the MACAddress on the machine and match it with the current CIs. The rest of the CIs are duplicates and can be deleted.

Based on the primary key attributes we can think of the alternatives. So let us know which is the primary key attribute set.
Also check the details regarding the latest ContentPack6 used for DDM.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy P.
Gregory Pappas
Respected Contributor.

I run into this issue frequently as well. My issue is that our CIs have multiple MAC addresses, so at times it does the discovery with one MAC address. Then the next discovery finds it with a different MAC address, and creates the duplicate CI. Is there any way to deal with these duplicates as well?
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

Hi Gregory,

Does MAC Address change happen on all the hosts or only a few.

If its few then create an enrichment rule to delete the old host.

If all of them, then in the CIType manager remove the primarykey on the HostKey attribute and use it on Name. This will make sure that the CI name will be unique and the MAC address gets updated when ever it finds a new one. Make sure that multiple hosts do not have the same hostname.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy.
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Hi Nagendra,

Thank you for your valuable time, i have attached the screen shot of the host key attribute settings, please check and let me know if anything needs to be modified.
In my case i see lot of Host CI duplicates getting created, for example- When for one server it shows 3 different CIs created with same host name, and with different model information in each CI, and sometimes with different operating System. This is becoming a serious issue for us, we need to stop this Duplicates. Please review my screen shot and help.
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sree,

Are you sure that in your environment multiple hosts do not have same host name.

Check the create dates, check the IP Address associated with them and check the dns or FQN name for the host.
Manually try to login to the servers and check the hostname.

If nothing is helping, create an enrichment rule and delete the duplicate hosts. Run the disocvery again and check if still they are getting generated.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy
Alexander Arkhi
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

From what you say, it looks like you have the same IP address that is jumping from one machine into another or is shared between several machines.
I would suggest to check which jobs do create and update these CIs (look at "Created by" and "Updated by" attributes values).
Also - is there a change of MAC addresses (NIC configurations) taking place in the environment?

Regards,
Alex
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Hi,
For an example, i looked for one CI by name bdc-extra039.., i got 3 Cis for this query with this server name. I have compared 2 Cis in which i noticed the following.

1. It shows server contains 2 IP, out of which the correct one is 192.44.122.87. The other IP cannot be recognized by DNS.
2. Also i see a difference in MAC address, which should be 0050568B76F7, which is showed in one of the CI. In the other CI it shows the incorrect MAC address.
3. Also i see a difference in the host model information in each of these CIs. This CI information has been created and updated by Host Connection by WMI.
So my question is, when UCMDB discovers an update in a CI, instead of updating the same CI in ucmdb, its creating an new CI with the new changed Ci information,with same server name, leaving the old CI as it is which is causing many duplicates.
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

As stated earlier, display name or Name are not the primary key(uinique identifier) in your environment. Hence there can be more than one CI with same hostname. MAC Address is primary key(unique identifier) hence creating a new CI instead of updating the same.

-Nagendra Swamy
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Hi Nagendra,
So do you suggest me to change the primary key to Host name or display name, to fix my issue? Could you please guide me how do i change this primary key to Host name from MAC address.

I really appreciate your help.
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Nagendra- I have attached the screen shot of the attribute settings of host key, have a look and please guide me in making necessary changes to fix my issue.
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

before doing some changes to the default settings you need to understand your environment.

1. How many CIs have the same issue.
2. Why the issue is occuring.
3. Check with the internal team and then come to a conclusion of what needs to be done.

If the no of CIs is significantly less then make use of the Enrichment Rule and fix the issue.

If the no of CIs is very large in number then we can change the primary key value to some other attribute

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy.
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Hi Nagendra,
1. We have about more than 500 to 1000 duplicate CIs just with Windows CI type category.
2. This might be due to any hardware changes in the environment.
3. Checked with the team, they want us to stop duplicate CIs in ucmdb here on. And also delete all those duplicate CIs which is existing.

So please guide me how do i go about it now.
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sree,

Try to make use of Enrichment rules and delete the CIs which are duplicate. This might need some manual effor to identify which is the current CI and which is the duplicate.

Check with your team if you can delete all the 1000 CIs and rediscover them. This will not require much manual effort. If you are using this option run it in non business hours.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy. P
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Hi Sree,

Try to make use of Enrichment rules and delete the CIs which are duplicate. This might need some manual effor to identify which is the current CI and which is the duplicate.

Check with your team if you can delete all the 1000 CIs and rediscover them. This will not require much manual effort. If you are using this option run it in non business hours.

Hi Nagendra,
As we are still yet to go live in ucmdb, i can make necessary changes in order to fix the issue. Which condition should i use in enrichment to delete duplicates? Also how do i stop duplicate CI creation permanently in UCMDB?
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sree

I would recomend you to delete all the 1000 CIs and rediscover them else you will have to delete the duplicates manually. If you would like to delete all the CIs then follow the below.

Create an enrichment rule (uncheck rule is active)
Drag two Host CIs.
Create a virtual join with condition. Host1 DisplayLabel/name = Host2 DisplayLabel/name
Host1 Hostkey <> Host2 Hostkey

Change to Enrichment mode
Rightclick Choose delete CIs (both Host1 and Host2)

Save and activate the rule.

Note: Make sure that the TQL has chosen only the Hosts which have duplicates. Once all the duplicates are removed deactivate the rule.

To stop the duplicates being created you can make use of the same rule with additional conditions.

Drag two Host CIs.
Create a virtual join with condition. Host1 DisplayLabel/name = Host2 DisplayLabel/name
Host1 Hostkey <> Host2 Hostkey
Host1 CreateDate > 1 day

Change to Enrichment mode
Rightclick Choose delete CIs (only Host1)

Save and activate the rule.

This rule will make sure that you delete the duplicate CI once the new one is created.

Regards,
Nagendra Swamy P
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Thanks a lot Nagendra for your quick help.

I am seeing one strange thing while doing the steps which you mentioned, as you mentioned these are the steps i did.
1. Entered Enrichment Manager
2. Dragged 2 Host CI Types.
3. Then selected both and clicked on create relationship, and selected virtual join, and i see that no arrow mark is marked to indicate the relationship after i apply the virtual join relationship.
4. After creating a relationship, do i need to put the condition in node properties or in any other tab? I have always put conditions to relationships in node properties, so just to confirm i am clarifying with you.
5. If condition needs to be set in node properties, let me know which attribute i shud set for condition for both the hosts.

Sorry for asking these questions, though you gave me soo much solution, am still asking you questions, this issue has made me learn lot.
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

Hi Nagendra,
I read some docs and found how to create virtual relation ship, One last question i have is for the condition "Host1 Hostkey <> Host2 Hostkey"
which operator i need to select, i see these options..
equal
not equal
sub string
sub string ignore c
NagendraPaladi
Honored Contributor.

not equal
SreeSurya
Respected Contributor.

The solution given worked.