UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

Discover Windows Service and UCMDB Processes using Probe in UCMDB

Highlighted
fruity
Super Collector

Discover Windows Service and UCMDB Processes using Probe in UCMDB

Hi,

Am a newbie to UCMDB.

Can anyone tell me how to discover the Windows Service and Unix Processes through DDMA Probe?

Am aware of the usual CI discovery by clicking on Modeling->IT Universe Manager and perform a search based on CI TYPE=Process.

Is it possible to discover both Windows Service and Unix Processes together?

Cheers,

Fruity

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator 

3 REPLIES
Rutger
Frequent Visitor

Re: Discover Windows Service and UCMDB Processes using Probe in UCMDB

Yes, you can. The OOB discovery jobs Host Resources and Applications by Shell will inventory processes on UNIX and processes/services on Windows. The adapter requires parameters to be set indicating process/service discovery. These should be set to true. Where shell access on Windows is not available, WMI can be used towards the same end. Yes it's possible to run both jobs on the same collection of hosts. As long as credentials have been set correctly and the Host Connection by Shell/WMI jobs have been run, then there should be no problem.

fruity
Super Collector

Hi Rutger,

Thanks for ur input.

I can understand  on how to enable the required protocols but I want the processes running in Unix node alone at the outcast.

Actually I want to map all the Process that runs separately via Unix first and later can apply the same for windows too through Discovery.

Do I need to add a query kind of to perform mapping?

If so, Can u please tell how to achieve it?

Cheers,

Fruity

Rutger
Frequent Visitor

Ok, assuming you've got the process and service CI's from discovery, you can use the Modeling Studio to create a pattern view showing the processes or services for your nodes.

To show processes for UNIX plus Windows: drop the Node CI, NodeElement/Process, NodeElement/Windows Service CI Type objects in the model pane. Make a Composition relationship between the latter 2 and the Node. This will show you all process AND service CI's for all nodes.

Is this the kind of answer you're looking for? Or too simple?

[update] just realized that where UNIX host CI's are concerned, you'd have to modify the cardinality of the Composition relationships since they'd never show Windows Service CI's. Silly old me.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event