UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
cancel

DDM/uCMDB 8.01 categorizes Linux server as Unix server

Highlighted
Andy S
Trusted Contributor.

DDM/uCMDB 8.01 categorizes Linux server as Unix server

I have 2 user ids defined in ssh protocol as follows

unix ID: - user1
Linux id - user2

I am not keeping the scope of these credentials as "ALL".
Now when I try to discover a Linux server by first discoverying IP address of the host and then running running Host Resources pattern, I see that the ddm probe tries Unix id first on the host which fails, and then it proceeds with Linux id which succeeds.

This tells me that DDM recognizes a Linux server as a Unix type and not as a specific Linux type. Is there any workaround for this?
As a result of this on my Linux server, our monitoring solution generates a lot of authentification failures. I would appreciate if you can tell me any better way other than
1) Suppress these alerts or
2) use one uniue ID on Unix as well as Linux hosts.
Thanks

p.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Foru to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. - Hp forum Moderator

5 REPLIES
Dmitry Shevchenko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: DDM/uCMDB 8.01 categorizes Linux server as Unix server

Did you limit every credential entry to work on specific IPs only? And defined IPs for Linux boxes only as a scope for your Linux ID? If not, what you are seeing is expected behavior. DDM doesn't know if it's Linux or UNIX or Windows box while running Host Connections jobs. It simply uses all applicable credentials in turn till it finds the match.
Andy S
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the response.
Limiting the credentials by IP range may not be the best practice. This is because the Linux server may move from one subnet to another in future. Ideally I would have wanted to cover for that behaviour too.
Alexander Arkhi
Acclaimed Contributor.

DDM doesn't distinguish between Linux & Unix.
It represents all the *nix machines as "Unix" type: AIX, HP-UX, SunOS, Linux, etc.

Is there any way to configure your monitoring solution to monitor hosts according to the Operating System attribute of CI?
Andy S
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks.
I have suppressed these authentication alerts now.
Andy S
Trusted Contributor.

I have suppressed the alerts.