The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday noon (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday noon (PST)
Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows agentless discovery issues.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Windows agentless discovery issues.

Dear All, I am trying to discover a windows host using administrative credentails and required ports are open. Eventhough the given credentails are correct, the discovery is ending with BAD Credentails. Below is the error, Could anyone suggest the issue please ? [2016-07-12 09:03:02.464] INFO [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.connection.ssh.SSHLiveConnectionImpl] Live Command Logging is Disabled for com.hp.se.devices.windowsagentless [2016-07-12 09:03:02.464] INFO [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.CollectorBase] Will start connection Initialization and Verification for com.hp.se.devices.windowsagentless [2016-07-12 09:03:02.571] INFO [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.connection.jinterop.JinteropLiveConnectionImpl] Will attempt to destroy connections for 10.151.12.179 [2016-07-12 09:03:02.571] WARNING [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.connection.jinterop.JinteropLiveConnectionImpl] Could not initializing Windows Agentless Bundle Connection: for 10.151.12.179.Message not found for errorCode: 0x00000005 [2016-07-12 09:03:02.571] INFO [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.CollectorBase] Connection Initialization Completed successfully...Attempting Verify for 1 Connections [2016-07-12 09:03:02.572] WARNING [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.connection.jinterop.JinteropLiveConnectionImpl] LOGIN failed for Windows Agentless Bundle Connection: 10.151.12.179. Error executing query Error executing queryROOT\CIMV2:Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem on 10.151.12.179 [2016-07-12 09:03:02.572] WARNING [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.CollectorBase] Failed for init connection on JINTEROP-1 [2016-07-12 09:03:02.573] INFO [com.hp.se.collector.direct.core.connection.jinterop.JinteropLiveConnectionImpl] Will attempt to destroy connections for 10.151.12.179 [2016-07-12 09:03:02.573] WARNING [com.hp.se.disco.dn.task.DefaultJobExecutor] Job 1468332182821 terminated with an error BAD_CREDENTIALS cause of com.hp.se.disco.common.task.exceptions.DataCollectorException: Invalid discovery credentials !! at com.hp.se.disco.dn.dc.InventoryExecutor.work(InventoryExecutor.java:147) at com.hp.se.disco.dn.dc.InventoryExecutor.work(InventoryExecutor.java:28) at com.hp.se.disco.dn.task.DefaultJobExecutor.doService(DefaultJobExecutor.java:50) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1795.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeTarget(MethodInvocation.java:122) at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:111) at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptors.container.ContainerMethodInvocationWrapper.invokeNext(ContainerMethodInvocationWrapper.java:72) at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptors.aop.InterceptorSequencer.invoke(InterceptorSequencer.java:76) at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptors.aop.InterceptorSequencer.aroundInvoke(InterceptorSequencer.java:62) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor488.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) at org.jboss.aop.advice.PerJoinpointAdvice.invoke(PerJoinpointAdvice.java:174) at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:102) at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptors.aop.InvocationContextInterceptor.fillMethod(InvocationContextInterceptor.java:74) at org.jboss.aop.advice.org.jboss.ejb3.interceptors.aop.InvocationContextInterceptor_z_fillMethod_996301815.invoke
18 REPLIES
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Re: Windows agentless discovery issues.

Hello Hari,

The "Bad Credentials" error is a generic error that it displays when it is unable to connect properly for some reason.

I was able to duplicate the error within my test environment.

In my case, I ran the "somwindowsAgentlessDiscovery.ovpl -i" command, which is a prerequisites and it resolved the issue.

Here is a good knowledge document that will help you troubleshoot Windows Agentless Discovery.

KM01888982 - Storage Operations Manager (SOM) Windows Agentless Discovery Basic Troubleshooting
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM01888982

I hope that this information is helpful.

Good luck with your efforts.

Regards,

Mark Butler

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
DieterRohbeck
Regular Collector

One note on this - I believe there is currently an issue if the host you are trying to discover agentless runs Windows 2012.

I will have to check,  since I can confirm this is not working properly. At least in SOM 10.10  where I tried it on two Windows 2012 systems, where discovering a Windows 2008 agentless had no issues..

Regards,

Dieter

Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hello Dieter, Thanks for the update. I already installed psexec and ran the womwindowsagentlessdiscovery command successfully. It seems there is an issue while copying executable files to Windows host. In the C:windows\system32\ the .exe files are not copied. Will there be any problem with the connection to windows hosts from SOM.(135 port is already opened)
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Dieter, The pdf you shared is very useful, Thanks a lot. I have a query on ports, Do we need to open 135 port on the discovered windows host as well ?
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

Yes, TCP port 135 needs to be open on the Windows host that is attempting to be discovered.

A good way to test this is using the WBEMTest utility on another Windows system.  If your SOM server is a Windows host, then it would be good to test it from that server.

If WBEMTest is unable to connect to the host, then chances are that SOM will not be able to connect either.

WBEMTest is a utility included with Windows.  Here's a Microsoft link showing how to connect to another server using WBEMTest.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781653(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hello Mark, Thanks for information, it is useful in my case. We are in the process of enabling 135 port on windows host. I will let you know if there are any issues while discovering.
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hello Mark, Dieter I have enabled port 135 on windows hosts and also on SOM server, WMI service enabled. When I run somwindwosagentlessdiscovery.ovpl -i command, it ran without any error, But the DcomConfigurator_x64.exe,DcomConfigurator_x86.exe and hbatest.exe files were NOT copied to folder C:\Windows\System32 (Or C:\Windows\) on the Windows host. So, I manually copied these files and executed DcomConfigurator_x64.exe,DcomConfigurator_x86.exe on windows host. But even after this, Discovery is not successful. Could you suggest me to troubleshoot this issue ?
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

I'm sorry that things are still now working.  I've encountered a similar problem with another customer and it was due to security settings that was preventing the discovery from being successful.  The other customer stopped pursuing the issue at that point, so we never discovered the root cause.

To help continue troubleshooting with your issue, I would suggest the following:

• Confirm if you can use Wbemtest to connect to the remote Windows host from the SOM Management Server if the SOM Management server is a Windows system.
  • Confirm that the files (hbatest.exe, DcomConfigurator_x64.exe, DcomConfigurator_x86.exe) are located within the C:\Windows directory.

I did some testing within my lab last year with this process and found the following items.
- It is not required to specify the domain name with the credentials when performing the discovery of the host.
- If Windows Firewall is enabled (Domain) before the registry changes, then it will fail with the ‘Bad_Credentials’ message.
- The DComConfigurator.exe binary does the following:
    o  Changes permissions for the registry key.
    o  Adds an entry to the registry key.

Prior to attempting the discovery, I took screenshots and backups of the registry key “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\76a64158-cb41-11d1-8b02-00600806d9b6”.
After running the “somwindowsAgentlessDiscovery.ovpl –I” command, I looked at the registry entry again and noticed what changed in regards to permissions.

Depending on the results of these tests and possibly the security policies within your environment, it may not be possible to use the Windows Agentless Discovery.

You will need to open a support case if you need further assistance beyond this information.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark ,Thanks for your reply. Wbemtest to connect to the remote Windows host is not successful. hbatest.exe, DcomConfigurator_x64.exe, DcomConfigurator_x86.exe are located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\newconfig\HPOvSEi\tools\thirdparty on my Windows SOM and these files neither copied to C:\Windows\system32 nor C:\Windows on Windows host after running the discovery script. I tried the without the domain name in the user credentails credentials. I also doubt on some restrictions on Windows hosts to make these changes. Let me open a case with the support team.
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

It sounds like you should work with Wbemtest to try and get that to work.  If that is failing, then SOM will not be able to work properly.

Wbemtest is not a HPE program, but is part of Microsoft Windows.  It uses WMI as a method of connection and communication.  Here is more information about it from Microsoft.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781653(v=ws.10).aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647965.aspx

Once you can get the Wbemtest connection working, then you should be able to get SOM working.

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the details Mark, First I will try to sort out wbemtest connectivity issue.
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark, I tried to connect to the Wondows hosts using wbemtest from my Windows SOM server. It it throwing an error as access denied, But I have a confirmation from Firewall team that port 135 is passed. This wbemtest will use any other port apart from 135 ? Moreover, With the Error logs, I could locate the error code : 0x00000005 . For this Error code, troubleshooting steps in User's guide is to manually copy the dcomconfigurator_x86, dcomconfigurator_x64 and hbatest files to the windows hosts and run the discovery. But it's not yet successful. Do we have any sucessful discovery of Windwos2012 server using SOM10.10.170 ? Thanks, Hari
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

I just created a Windows 2012 R2 system to test out from my Windows 2012 R2 SOM 10.10 management server.  Both systems are within the same lab environment and there are no network firewalls between them.  The only firewalls involved is the Windows Firewall settings.

I did not configure anything within SOM, but kept my test strictly related to WMI.

I attempted to use wbemtest to connect to the client system and I put in the following entries:

Namespace:  \\<FQDN>\root\cimv2
User:  administrator
Password:  <password>

Prior to making any changes, I found that I was encountering the following error:
Number:  0x800706ba
Facility: Win32
Description:  The RPC server is unavailable.

I found that by default, Windows Firewall prevents communication to WMI.  I performed the following steps to enable access to WMI through the Firewall on Windows 2012 R2.

• Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall
  • On the left select "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall"
  • Scroll down to "Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)" and check the name and make sure that both 'Private' and 'Public' are selected.
  • Select Ok to make the changes and close the Window.

When I attempted to connect again after changing the Firewall setting on Windows, it connected.

If I left the password field blank or had it as incorrect, I received the following error:
Number:  0x80070005
Facility: Win32
Description:  Access is Denied.

If you are encountering the 'Access is Denied', then it most likely is not related to the Firewall setting.

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark, Thanks for testing in your lab. I followed the same stpes you suggested to allow WMI on Windows Host. But I encountered the same error after the suggested changes. Namespace: \\\root\cimv2 (I trired with both IP and FQDN, But same error) User: administrator Password: Number: 0x800706ba Facility: Win32 Description: The RPC server is unavailable. (Do I need to restart some server properties to affect these changes ? ) When I check the Remote Procedure Call(RPC) Locator its status is Running on Windows Host. Moreover, Remote Procedure Call(RPC) & Remote Desktop Services UserModel Port Redictor are also in Running state. Thanks, Hari
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

No, you do not need to restart the server for these changes to take affect.

If these servers are within the same domain, you can use the short name instead of the FQDN.  In either case, it should work if the firewall settings are correct.

I suspect that there is still something preventing WMI communication between the servers.  At this point, you may need to work with your Windows Admins and your Network Admins to troubleshoot the issue further.  At this point, it is not related to an issue with HPE Software but is related to Windows.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you any further at this point.

Good luck with your efforts.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark, Yes, I am coordinating with my system admin and firewall team to sort out this issue. Thanks a lot for your prompt response and efforts. Regards, Hari
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark, One quick question please, Do we need to open 445 port inoder to copy docconfigurator and hbatest files to windows server ? As per my understanding it is required only while installing psexec tool. Thanks, Hari
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert
Solution

Hello Hari,

You are correct in that TCP port 445 is used by psexec to copy the binaries to the remote Windows system.

The following is within the SOM 10.10 Deployment Guide concerning Ports Used:

445   TCP   psexec port, Windows Agentless on the management server

I beleive that this is used only for the original configuration and not used afterwards.  I am not 100% certain of this last point.

However, this would not come into play until you can get the Wbemtest command to connect successfully.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event