Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
cancel

Storage Essentials.

Highlighted
cva
New Member.

Storage Essentials.

Hi, I need to implement Storage Essentials for our Storage Environment.Iam a started in Storage Essentials. If anybody could help me in sharing some good documents would be highly appreciated.
~My Advance Thanks to you all~
Cva

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES
Stephen Kebbell
Super Contributor.

Re: Storage Essentials.

Hi,

there are some good documents about SE on the HP site.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=463512

The Installation Guide and User Guide are rather important.
Another thing you need to consider is the HW specs of the server on whcih you want to install Storage Essentials. In all but the smallest of SE installations, you need at least 4GB RAM or more (as much as you can afford). It depends on how big your SAN is, how many Storage Boxes and how many hosts you have.

I think you need to have Systems Insight Manager installed (either an existing SIM installation or you can install SIM on the SE server).

Some more information on your storage environment would be helpful.

Regards,
Stephen
Pshedges
Frequent Contributor.

I do do not think that the databases can be on the same server - SIM is SQL and SE uses Oracle databases as the back ends - you can store the SIM DB on another server but run SIM Manager from the same server as SE>

Below are the System Requirements.

Hardware Pre-Requisites On separate management server from HP SIM:
Processor: Dual Intel XEON (or AMD equivalent) 3.4 GHz or higher (recommended
Memory:
Minimum: 4 GB (For smaller configurations monitoring 20 or fewer devices; HP SIM mgmt
server requires 2GB minimum)
Recommended: 6 GB (require Win2003 Enterprise Edition to address more than 4GB
memory; HP SIM mgmt server requires 2GB minimum)
Disk space: 150GB (recommended)
On combined management server with HP SIM:
Processor: Dual Intel XEON (or AMD equivalent) 3.4 GHz or higher (recommended
Memory:
Minimum: 6 GB (For smaller configurations monitoring 20 or fewer devices; includes 2GB
requirements for combination with HP SIM)
Recommended: 8 GB (require Win2003 Enterprise Edition to address more than 4GB
memory)
Disk space: 150 GB (recommended)
Stephen Kebbell
Super Contributor.

No, that's not correct. You CAN run SIM and SE on the same server. It even says so in the text you pasted in!
If you want SE and SIM on the same server you have to install things in the correct order:
1) Oracle
2) Oracle Patch
3) Storage Essentials
4) HP SIM (I think 5.0 SP4 is the minimum required version)
5) SIM Connector for SE

If you have an existing SIM installation, then you cannot install SE on the SIM server.

Stephen
Pshedges
Frequent Contributor.

I never said you could not - you can run both the management applications on the same box as in my pervious post, but it is not advised that you run both databases on the same server, I.E do not run Oracle AND SQL on the same box.
Pshedges
Frequent Contributor.

And the above information I have posted were as we were told/advised by HP themselves....
cva
New Member.

HI Stephen Kebbell,

Thanks for your updates for the documentation.

The set up is like, we have different customers with different topology with different vendors SAN products, running multi OS.

I need to implement it in my office & maintain the customers SAN from my office.

I need some cook books, if you can share, it would be fine.

THanks & Regards
cva
Telmo Neto
Frequent Contributor.

PSHedges Wrote --I never said you could not - you can run both the management applications on the same box as in my pervious post, but it is not advised that you run both databases on the same server, I.E do not run Oracle AND SQL on the same box.--

Actually, What happens when you install Both SIM+ SE on the same box, is that the DB used is Oracle for both. That's why first you install Oracle, then Storage Essentials and finally SIM.

In this case you're not going to have SQL and Oracle on the same box.

Hope to have shed some light on this matter.