The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Essentials 9.7 policy threshold value.

Highlighted
Ondev
Acclaimed Contributor

Storage Essentials 9.7 policy threshold value.

Hello,
After create a policy I receive the next message e.g.:
Element Policy: FA-10E Total I/O Rate [ Total I/O Rate for Storage System Processor FA-10E ] [ > 1500.0 ReqPerSec]
Element Policy: FA-10E Percent Hits [ Percent Hits for Storage System Processor FA-10E ] [ > 60.0 Percent]

Whether there is a possibility of transfer to the message a current threshold values? e.g.:
Element Policy: FA-10E Total I/O Rate [ Total I/O Rate for Storage System Processor FA-10E ] [ > 1500.0 ReqPerSec] [ Current: 2634.0 ReqPerSec]
Element Policy: FA-10E Percent Hits [ Percent Hits for Storage System Processor FA-10E ] [ > 60.0 Percent] [Current: 83.0 Percent]

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
DieterRohbeck
Regular Collector

Re: Storage Essentials 9.7 policy threshold value.

Hi Ondev,

this is an old, fair and still valid concern. I'm working for StorageEssentials (SE) and Storage Operatrions Manager (SOM) support and have seen several Enhancement Requests (ERs) for this issue which have never been completed. Even worse we don't have a 'between' operator for the policies. I agree - the value of the metric which made the policy active should be printed. However I fear that this will never get completed for SE since engineering focuses on the new SOM product. Even though I haven't seen or I'm not aware if and when a kind of Policy Manager is planned for SOM at the moment, since the current Versions have no Policy Manager. If you have an active support contract, feel free to raise an Enhancement request, which will give you also the opportunity to discuss this with SE/SOM Product Management.

Sorry for the negative news ..

Best Regards,

Dieter.

Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Re: Storage Essentials 9.7 policy threshold value.

Hello Ondev,

Unfortuantely, the answer is no.  There is no way to provide a dynamic value for what the current value is that triggered the event.  This question was recently asked internally and this was a good answer to it.

My recollection of the SE Policy Manager functionality is that the actual metric/count that meets the user-defined threshold is not included in the generated alert/trap/email… just the fields such as:

Element
Severity
Time
Type (category)
Subtype (category)
Summary Text (event  description)
Probably Cause (event detail)

If so…as SE is no longer developed, and this request would fall into the Enhancement Request category , I’m almost certain there is no chance of it ever coming to SE.

ERs of this type (for SE) I believe are looked at by Product Management for possible inclusion in a future release of SOM.

It’s worth noting that some other products, such as 3PAR’s on-node system reporter alert criterion (threshold) does in _most_ (but not all) cases display the metric value(s) that reached/surpassed the threshold in the description field – it certainly seems to be a sensible expectation.

So in summary, it is not possible to do this from within SE Policy Manager.

I'm sorry that I could not provide a positive answer to your request.

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event