Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris hosts agentless discovery pre-requisites

Highlighted
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Solaris hosts agentless discovery pre-requisites

Hello Team, I am trying to discover a solaris host using Agentless discovery feature in SOM. Iam using admin credentials and the required 22(SSH) port is already opened. It took long time(almost 30mins) to discover and finally ended with the below error. (Agentless), IBM HMC] [2016-07-13 16:27:51] WARNING A single exception was thrown during discovery. It is probably the reason we failed to discover anything. AGENT_PROBLEM [2016-07-13 16:27:51] WARNING com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1115 had a failure. Skipping it for now.Discovery using Oracle Solaris - SSH (Agentless) bundle failed: Discovery failed as top level system could not be queried
4 REPLIES
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Re: Solaris hosts agentless discovery pre-requisites

Hello Hari,

Unfortunately, the messages that you provided do not have very much within them.  It states that the SSH failed, but not really something that is understandable.  There may be more messages included in the logs that may help better.

I would suggest performing the following steps to make sure that everything works to this point.

1. Try using SSH directly from the SOM Management server to the Solaris Server.  Confirm that you can login to the Solaris host.
  2. Confirm that the Oracle Solaris - SSH (Agentless) Device Bundle is installed and active by running the following command:
    somproviderlist.ovpl -active

If both of those items are successful and nothing significant is seen within the log files, I would suggest opening a support case and providing the log files.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hello Mark, Thanks for your reply. I could see 22(SSH) port is open and telnet to the solaris host is connected. (Not tried to directly connect using SSH) Moreover, Oracle Solaris - SSH (Agentless) bundle is already installed and is active. Do I need to have an administrative account to discover a solris hosts ?
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Hello Hari,

SOM uses SSH to communicate to the host, so it would be best to test that you can login to the Solaris host from the SOM management server using SSH rather than telnet.  This would be an authoritative test in that you would confirm that SSHD is properly configured and running on the Solaris host.

You do not need to be the 'root' user to perform this discovery, however, that would limit some of the information that you would be able to collect.

Here's what is within the SOM 10.10 Users Guide for this topic (P. 172-173):
Non-root user account – Accessing a host using a non-root user account provides
SOM with access to limited information about the host.
For a Solaris host - information related to the disk drives, disk partitions,
Mpxio Multipath, HBA adapter, ports and target mappings is not available.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Hari_Reddy
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark, Hope you had a nice weekend. I connected to solaris hosts using SSH and the Oracle Solaris - SSH (Agentless) is Active. But still the Solaris hosts is not discovered. I found the below Warnings in som context log, What is the meaning of AGENT_PROBLEM ? [2016-07-13 16:27:51.669] INFO [com.hp.se.disco.dn.collectors.common.Logger] {10.0.2.108SolarisHosts%155e60cb88b}The following ports DID respond 22 used by [HP 3Par - SMI-S, EMC Isilon - SSH, HP-UX - SSH (Agentless), IBM AIX - SSH (Agentless), Oracle Solaris - SSH (Agentless), IBM HMC] [2016-07-13 16:27:51.684] WARNING [com.hp.se.disco.dn.collectors.common.Logger] {10.0.2.108SolarisHosts%155e60cb88b}A single exception was thrown during discovery. It is probably the reason we failed to discover anything. AGENT_PROBLEM [2016-07-13 16:27:51.684] WARNING [com.hp.se.disco.dn.dc.InventoryExecutor] {10.0.2.108SolarisHosts%155e60cb88b}com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1115 had a failure. Skipping it for now.Discovery using Oracle Solaris - SSH (Agentless) bundle failed: Discovery failed as top level system could not be queried
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event