Did you mean: 

SOM Installation - error embedded postgres database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Fabrizio Maggio

SOM Installation - error embedded postgres database

Hello Support,

I am working on SOM 10.10 and i would like to install it on Windows 2012 server,  the database will be embedded postgres one configured on the same local machine. All prerequisite are meet but during the installation i got error as attachment.

I find this error into som-install-config logfile:

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - INFO: somdbmgr - NOT_RUNNING - Exit(1)
Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - INFO: +++++++++++++ end stderr +++++++++++++

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - ERROR: Could not execute
StackTrace:
com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.core.ConfigException: Running:
1:"C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\bin\ovstart.exe"
2:-c
3:somdbmgr
FAILED. Command returned rc:1
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.core.Exec.runIt(Exec.java:445)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.commonSteps.OvStart.execute(OvStart.java:108)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.commonSteps.EmbeddedDbCreate.execute(EmbeddedDbCreate.java:66)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.core.Configurator.executeOneStep(Configurator.java:403)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.core.Configurator.logAndRunOneStep(Configurator.java:370)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.core.Configurator.runSubsystemConfigSteps(Configurator.java:282)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.core.Configurator.execute(Configurator.java:137)
at com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.ui.InstallConfigDlg$3.run(InstallConfigDlg.java:449)

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - ERROR: com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.finalizer.Install error: Step 0 - EmbeddedDbCreate

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - INFO: Subsystem com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.finalizer.Install - EmbeddedDbCreate finished in 145365 milliseconds
Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - INFO: setSubStatus():Step #1/4: Create HP Storage Operations Manager Embedded Database completed (25%)
Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - INFO: setSubStatus():Running step #2/4: "Configure Xen Interface" ... (25%)
Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:35:08 PM CEST - INFO:

Checking also into initdb.log i found another related error:
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "LOCAL SERVICE".
This user must also own the server process.

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "C".
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

Data page checksums are disabled.

fixing permissions on existing directory E:/ProgramData/HP/HP BTO Software/shared/nnm/databases/Postgres ... initdb: could not change permissions of directory "E:/ProgramData/HP/HP BTO Software/shared/nnm/databases/Postgres": Permission denied

Please do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.

Regards,

Fabrizio

3 REPLIES
Mark_Butler
HPE Expert

Re: SOM Installation - error embedded postgres database

Hello Fabrizio,

It sounds like you are not performing the installation as an administrative user or that your user has limited permissions on the E: drive.

I remember one customer that had problems installing on Windows to a different drive when they had customized permissions on the drive.  It prevented the installation to be successful.  The error issue was different, but the Microsoft Windows Local 'Users' group needed 'Read & Execute', 'List folder contents' and 'Read' permissions to the file system in question.

I don't know if this is the same issue that you are encountering.  If you continue to have problems, I would suggest opening a support case.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
HPE SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
DieterRohbeck
Regular Collector
Solution

Re: SOM Installation - error embedded postgres database

Hi,

just to complete this thread. The error was not related to directory or user permissions. A case was raised and it was found this was a localization/locale problem of the Windows system were SOM was attempted to be installed..

The %OvDataDir%\log\som\som-install-config.log showed:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!  Create HP Storage Operations Manager Embedded Database
!!  Create HP Storage Operations Manager Embedded Database
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<date>, <time> - INFO: The execution directory = C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\bin
<date>, <time> - INFO: Waiting (up to 600 seconds) for process to terminate
<date>, <time> - INFO: stderr> No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
<date>, <time> - INFO: stderr>
<date>, <time> - INFO: stderr> No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

** START RUN OF IConfigStep #3/8 (1 total failures so far)
**   Subsystem #10/10
**   Subsystem Method: com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.finalizer.Install
**   Class: com.hp.ov.nms.installconfig.commonSteps.FilePermissions
**   Description: Fix file permissions

<date> <time> - INFO: stdout> Locale = Italian_Italy.1252
<date> <time> - INFO: stdout> Service user is: NT AUTHORITY\SERVIZIO LOCALE

So in this specific case, the installer expected 'Local Service' but since the system locale was set to Italian, the service returned name 'SERVIZIO LOCALE' which caused the installation to fail. The SOM Installer tries to get the SID (Windows Security ID) of user 'LOCAL SERVICE', since this user cannot be found, it causes also the error "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done" and that is why the Embedded Database will not be created and the whole installation will not complete.

From the SOM 10.10 Support Matrix:
Storage Operations Manager 10.10 runs on systems with any of the following languages:
French
German
Japanese
Russian
Simplified Chinese

Storage Operations Manager 10.10 is localized in the following languages:
Japanese (SOM console only)
Russian (SOM console only)
Simplified Chinese (SOM console only)

Regards,

Dieter

Fabrizio Maggio