cancel

Normal Data collection over Performance data collection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Tejendra
Trusted Contributor.

Normal Data collection over Performance data collection

I need to understand difference between process of normal data collection and Performance data collection.

A normal data collection will run as per refresh interval varying 24 Hr to 72 hrs or more, but a performance data collection has to run way more frequestly to get proper matrics and to build representational graphs.

What processes are involved in Perf. Data collection and where logs are saved for this.

5 REPLIES
Hari_Reddy
Honored Contributor.

Re: Normal Data collection over Performance data collection

Hi Tejendra,

Performance data collection is based on Monitoring policies assinged to the nodes, but I noticeed there is no special logs to write this information in SOM.

You can get some information related to perf. metrics in som.log and som-trace.log only.

BR,Hari

Mark_Butler
Honored Contributor.

Hello Tejendra,

Hari is correct.  The performance data is collected according to monitoring policies and settings.  There are no special log files that are part of the performance collection.  They are the same as the data collection (Ex. som.log and som-trace.log) as Hari pointed out.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Tejendra
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Mark & Hari ,

Seems Reasonable to me.

But How can we monitor if Performance collection is running for specific device or not ?

Mark_Butler
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hello Tejendra,

You would look at the Monitoring Policies within the Monitoring Settings to see if a device is included.

Every device you wish to collect Performance data for would be included within a Monitoring Group (Configuration > Object Groups).  This Monitoring Group would need to include the specific performance collector you wish to collect.

Once you have a Monitoring Group for your specific device type, you would then create a monitoring policy for your devices that includes that Monitoring Group.

After a device is included within a Monitoring Policy, then after at least two collection intervals, you should see performance data within the Inventory Work area under that device.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Tejendra
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Mark,

Much Helpful information.