Did you mean: 

MSA 1000 SMI-S Provider

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Matt Tourney
Acclaimed Contributor

MSA 1000 SMI-S Provider

I've been playing with Storage Essentials 4.0 in my lab. I've got my EVA integrated using the EVA SMI-S provider and now I'm attempting to get my MSA 1000 to be managed. I've downloaded and installed the MSA SMI-S provider (v1.0) on the same server that is running the EVA SMI-S provider and CIMOM. Storage Essentials still picks up the EVA but does not recognize the host as an MSA CIMOM.

I can install the MSA SMI-S provider on another server and it works just fine. Does anyone know if the MSA SMI-S provider is officially incompatible on the same box with the CIMOM installed by the EVA SMI-S provider?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk Array to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum. - HP Forum Moderator

huh?
7 REPLIES
Rithu Kumble_1
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: MSA 1000 SMI-S Provider

Hi, Matt,

You might want to check if the MSA SMI-S provider uses the SNIA CIMOM.

If the MSA SMI-S uses the SNIA CIMOM, then try manually loading the MOFs of the MSA and EVA. It may work.

Good luck.

Regards
Rithu Kumble
Matt Tourney
Acclaimed Contributor

How do you load the MOFs manually?
huh?
Rithu Kumble_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi, Matt,

I am assuming that you have verified that MSA uses the SNIA CIMOM.

Before you manually load the MOFs, verify if the MOFs are already loaded.

Go into the CIMOM directory, classes and then to root. Here you must find the provider specific folder along with the root MOFs and the CIMOM MOFs.

Now if an MSA is installed, you must see a folder titled MSA. Go into this folder to check if the MOFs are loaded. If the MOFs are not loaded, complete the following procedure to load them:

1) Go to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SMI-S\Provider specific folder. Here you will find a file titled LoadMSAMOFs.bat file.

2) Execute this file to load the MOFs for MSA.

3) Restart the CIMOM.

I hope this works. Good luck.

Regards
K

Fabian_Nowee
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've got a similar problem:

I have a HP G4 DL280 w2k3 storage server running with a ESE extension and MSA-SMI module installed.

I can see the host, only I cannot see the MSA1500.

If I run your loadmof command I get:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SMI-S\MSAProvider>LoadMSAMofs.bat
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/hp/cimutils/LoadMofs
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/hp/cimutils/LoadMofs
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SMI-S\MSAProvider>

doesn't sound good. sounds like a java problem...

do you have a suggestion?
Looking for nice incentives? (www.kirsp.nl)
Fabian_Nowee
Occasional Contributor

hmmm, is see a pretty old java version running (1.3_etc)

Can I upgrade to 1.5 without problems?
Looking for nice incentives? (www.kirsp.nl)
R Morgan
Acclaimed Contributor

Mr. Nowee,

Check your classpath. I was getting the same NoClassDefFound before I used full pathnames in the classpath for both the CIMOM and Provider jars.

Robert
Matt Tourney
Acclaimed Contributor

Just an update for everyone interested in this thread. In the months since I posted (and forgotten about) this question, I've learned that it is currently not supported to install multiple HP SMI-S providers on the same host. I am now running SMI-S EVA and SMI-S MSA providers on different hosts and they work perfectly with Storage Essentials 5.0.1!

This has something to do with the fact that the providers are based on different versions of some java library or something like that. Not surprised that HP's engineering teams are out of sync here...

Matt
huh?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event