EML Tape Library Namespace

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
TANI_1
Respected Contributor.

EML Tape Library Namespace

Dear,

I have to monitor an EML tape library with Storage Essentials.

In the documentation (Storage Essentials 5.1 Installation Guide p99), it's written How to discover the tape library with SE.

I have two questions:
- If I am using SE Discovery need I to indicate the namespace of the Tape Library ?
- If yes, what's the namespace for an EML Tape Library ?

Thanks for your suggestion or return of experience in this area.

Regards,

--
Raphael

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Libraries and Drives to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

12 REPLIES
Curtis Ballard
Super Contributor.
Solution

Re: EML Tape Library Namespace

You should not need to indicate the namespace of the EML library. The interopnamespace of "root/pg_interop" is a default since SIM SP4.

A couple of tips I have seen for library discovery are: you must only have 1 SMI-S provider on the server or you can have conflicts, You need to set the username and password during installation of the CVTL SMI-S provider, and cimserver.exe may need to be restarted.

I haven't run through the setup yet myself so I can't give much more details that this.
TANI_1
Respected Contributor.

Dear,

Thanks a lot for this reply.
I always try to discover the Tape Library.

Indeed I have 2 servers, one with Storage Essentials and another with SMI-S providers.
Indeed I have SMI-S for XP storage box and SMI-S for TL installed on the same servers.

How to know if I am in conflict case?

At the moment when I start the discovery for the TL, there is no return at all, and I am obliged to restart Storage Essentials.

Do you have a link to download patches for SE and especially for HP SIM.

Thanks a lot

--
Raphael
TANI_1
Respected Contributor.

Dear,

Couple of months later, I still have problems with Storage Essentials and the integration of the Tape Library (eml245).

I have the last version of Storage Essentials 5.1 (with last Service Pack 4, SIM is v5.1 too). Furthermore the last version of Command View TL was installed (2.0), and I checked in the compatibility matrix, that this install is supported (and it is)

Nevertheless the discovery process is not able to discover the EML but it's OK for the rest of the SAN components switches, Disk Array.

Somebody have a return of experience about the Tape Library monitoring.

Regards,

--
Raphael

Curtis Ballard
Super Contributor.

Unfortunately we don't have a StorageEssentials expert monitoring this forum regularly so they haven't seen this question. I haven't used SE enough to know what the issue might be so I have contacted an SE expert from another team however he is out until late next week so there may not be any new information until then.
TANI_1
Respected Contributor.

Dear,

I am continuing the investigation about this problem. I tried to add the server to SIM (Option->Discovery Manual tab) with the CVTL SMI-S credentials.

I see now in the Setup of the Discovery section in Storage Essentials, the following line:
https://:/root/PG_Interop

I tried to start a discovery with this config, but it failed again, I also tried without "https://", i.e: :5989/root/PG_Interop, but it failed again.

So, I opened the URL with a web browser on the SE server and installed the suggested certificate, but no success again.

Could it be a SSL communication issue? this could explain, that the connection failed and tha's why the discovery failed .

Even if your colleague can send me an answer only next week, I am of course very interested by the answer.

Regards

--
Raphael
Curtis Ballard
Super Contributor.

I got some more tips:

The customer may not be able to discover the EML through SE due to EML not being managed by the CVTL management station.

I would suggest that the customer can follow the following steps.

1. Launch the CVTL management station (HP Command for TL) & add the EML and manage it.
2. Restart the CIMOM service (HP StorageWorks SMI-S CIM Server). This is not a necessary step but just to ensure that this is not causing any issues.
3. Run the WBEMDisco client with the following credentials
PORT = 5989 or 5988
NAMESPACE = root/pg_interop
USERNAME = administrator
PASSWORD = administrator
If the WBEMDisco client is able to discover the EML, then the CVTL provider is working fine.

In case there is any failure in WBEMDisco discovery, the customer can refer to the troubleshooting document (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/smisproviders/smis_troubleshooting.pdf) and report the cause of failure.

There is a known issue with CVTL & CVXP being installed in the same server. Both applications install CIMOMs from different Vendors & both these CIMOMs use the same port numbers (5988/5989) by default which may cause port conflict. The details of this issue can be found in the attached document.

To check the ports on which the CIMOM(Hitachi CIMOM) installed by the XP Provider is running, check the \CVXPAE\DeviceManager\Server\config\server.properties file.

To check the ports on which CIMOM(Pegasus CIMOM) installed by the CVTL provider is running, check the
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\pegasus_home\cimserver_current.conf file.

To ensure that the CIMOM installed by CVTL provider is running on 5988 & 5989 the customer can use the slptool http://www.openslp.org.

Steps to be followed are:

1. Open the command prompt from the slptool folder
2.Execute:
C:\slptool>slptool findsrvs service:wbem

This should list the server's IP & the port number on which the WBEM services are running

Example: If the server's IP is 15.154.52.75 and the CIMOM is running on 5988 & 5989, the following should be listed in the output-
service:wbem:http://15.154.52.75:5988,
service:wbem:https://15.154.52.75:5989,

2.Execute C:\slptool>slptool findattrs service:wbem::

Example : slptool findattrs service:wbem:http://15.154.52.75:5988 or
slptool findattrs service:wbem:https://15.154.52.75:5989

This will list various attributes of the CIMOM. What the customer needs to check is if in this output he can see "(template-url-syntax=https://<15.154.52.75>:5989),(service-id=),(service-hi-name=Pegasus),(service-hi-description=Pegasus CIM Server Version Development) ".

If this check is positive then the CIMOM is running fine on the ports 5988 & 5989.

After following all the above steps, if the customer still cant discover the EML then it would help if he could give us the steps he followed for the discovery & what exactly is the result of the discovery.

TANI_1
Respected Contributor.

Dear,

Some news about this. HP support is looking for a solution, because it seems that some problems occurs with the SMI-S provider deliver with Command View TL.

If somebody has a feedback regarding the monitoring of an EML245, please let me know.

Regards.

--
Raphael
TANI_1
Respected Contributor.

Dear,

Case is now solved, by re-installing the last version for Command View TL (2.30.0.1), and re-discovering the Tape Library

--
Raphael
Moreno Daltin
Contributor.

Where can I download the CVTL 2.30.0.1? In the download section there still is the old version (2.30.0). I have already installed the CVTL 2.30.00 but the CIM server was not installed (i.e. c:\program files\hewlett-packard does not contain the pegasus_home directory as it should according to readme.html shipped with the CVTL).

Thanks,
Moreno Daltin
Curtis Ballard
Super Contributor.

2.30.0.1 isn't currently available. There was a particular configuration where updating from the older version to 2.30.0.1 wasn't always successful on the first try so that 2.30.0.1 has been pulled and a new version will be posted. The new version is through test and should be up very soon.
Moreno Daltin
Contributor.

Thank you Curtis

anyway is there some other way now to have a CIM / SMI provider running on the same machine with CVTL? Maybe a standalone installer? Thanks in advance!
Curtis Ballard
Super Contributor.

2.30.0.2 just released today and should be on the web for download soon. The publishing process can take a few days but it should be less than a week.