Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
cancel

Can't discover SQL Server

Highlighted
ykzj
Occasional Advisor

Can't discover SQL Server

Hi All,

I managed to add a SQL server to SE as managed databases. It passed the test procedure.But I can't find this SQL server (or any sql server) in "Application Viewer". Did I miss some steps?

[2012-07-23 15:35]    Testing if SQLSERVER Database Instance 'MSSQLSERVER' on host xx.xx.xx.xx
[2012-07-23 15:35]    can be discovered via the management IP xx.xx.xx.xx, port 1433
[2012-07-23 15:35]    Checking if Host xx.xx.xx.xx is managed by HP Storage Essentials...
[2012-07-23 15:35]    SUCCESS
[2012-07-23 15:35]    Checking if host xx.xx.xx.xx is reachable...
[2012-07-23 15:35]    Checking if management IP xx.xx.xx.xx is reachable...
[2012-07-23 15:35]    Found SQLSERVER Database Instance 'MSSQLSERVER'
[2012-07-23 15:35]    on host xx.xx.xx.xx and port 1433
[2012-07-23 15:35]    Database Test Discovery completed successfully

Discovery completed in 1 second
3 REPLIES
WileyThrasher
Regular Collector

Re: Can't discover SQL Server

Have you run (and also scheduled) a "Get Details" data collection... as "discovery" (aka SE Setup Step 1) is just an initial probing of a system and does not populate any detail. It is required to run a "Get Details" (aka SE Setup Step 3 aka GAED) collection after the initial discovery phase. Also, it is required to setup a regularly recurring data collection schedule, usually daily in the late evening/early morning for all devices - under Configuration > Discovery, define a schedule and add all groups to this scheudle (I do not recommend setting up multiple schedules or using the groups feature unless you have a very large environment and will be using segmented data collection.

Most issues with MS-SQL discovery related to network settings and authentication, are you using local or AD for discovery, and for discovery - the ionformation you populated the applicaiton discovery page would be as follows:

Host IP/DNS Name: (use the virtual cluster IP address)

Management IP/DNS Name: (use the Public IP address of the primary cluster node)

Please refer to the SE 9.5.1 Installation Guide, pg. 211-220 for detailed MS-SQL discovery and configuration details.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals

search under "storage essentials srm" verison 9.5.1

Also, be sure to apply 9.5.0 SP1 aka 9.5.1 patch

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/patches

search under "storage essentials srm" version 9.5.0 (do not search under 9.5.1 to find the patch, as there is no 9.5.2 patch available)

Wiley Thrasher
Storage Management Expert
HP Storage TCE and Quality Tiger Team
WW L3 Pre-sales Support
Hewlett-Packard Company
ykzj
Occasional Advisor

yes, i can discover the server and get detail, but sql server is not shown on application viewer.

WileyThrasher
Regular Collector

There are a couple steps and pre-requisites for discovery... Firstly, have you deployed the SE CIM Extension to the server(s) and run both discovery (SE Setup Step 1) and data collection (SE Setup Step 3) against the server(s).

Only once the server discovery is completed, and the systems are being shown can you discover (and also run data collection) to pick up and map a database/application instance.

Also, if you are using SE's Organization filters... Assure that you are using the default "Everything" selection, and then add any systems to additional Orgs to allow visibility when using the filters.

If you continue to have any issues, it would be suggested to open a support case via the SSO portal.

http://support.openview.hp.com/

Wiley Thrasher
Storage Management Expert
HP Storage TCE and Quality Tiger Team
WW L3 Pre-sales Support
Hewlett-Packard Company
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event