Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
cancel

CISCO Switch discovery failed

Highlighted
connection
Super Contributor.

CISCO Switch discovery failed

Hi All,

While we discover the cisco switches, found the entry in logfile, not sure where is issue, could someone help me to understand.

WARNING We got an odd CIM Exception back from creating a config instance it had an id of CIM_ERR_ALREADY_EXISTS and a description of Discovery entry IP address refers to the same fabric as an existing discovery entry. Ignoring this discovery entry. and a tostring of CIM_ERR_ALREADY_EXISTS
Discovery entry IP address refers to the same fabric as an existing discovery entry. Ignoring this discovery entry. [2016-12-12 16:47:32] INFO Is NOT a APPIQ_CiscoSNMPProvider

12 REPLIES
DieterRohbeck
Super Contributor.

Re: CISCO Switch discovery failed

Hi,

I'm assuming you are talking about CISCO Switch discovery in SOM (Storage Operations Manager). The 'error'/hint reflected in the log simply states that an entry for the switch you added to the discovery list exists already in the SOM Database. You might wonder how it comes - here is how it works:

If you discover one CISCO Switch (via snmp), SOM reads from the switch the other participating FC Switches within the fabric. If the snmp community /or the snmpv3 credentials work on the other switches within this Fabric, SOM contacts each of the switches and generates a Top-Level Object (in that case a Switch) in the SOM Inventory. Hence all switches (in case snmpv3 or community is the same) get automatically discovered in SOM. So you need to add only one CISCO Switch per Fabric to the Discovery of SOM. In you case it seems you added a Switch which has been already discovered to the Discovery list.

Example: You have a Fabric with 7 FC Switches (FCSwitch1 ... FCSwitch7). You add e.g. FCSwitch3 to the SOM discovery list. SOM automatically determines from FCSwitch3 the other participating FC Switches and attempts to contact each of them, resulting (if successfully contacted) that all the other FC Switches of this Fabric will be added to the SOM Inventory /Database. If you now attempt to add e.g. FCSwitch7 to the Discovery list SOM will state that the Switch is already discovered.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Dieter

connection
Super Contributor.

Hi Dieter,

Thanks a lot for your information, I have deleted it from the Discovery Tab and re-added the device to know whether it will work or not, found the same issue again, Could you tell me how can i delete it from entire system please.

Thanks & Regards

DieterRohbeck
Super Contributor.

Hi,

I might need some more information on what steps you are performing. What SOM version are we talking about ? Is this the very first switch you trying to add, or do you have already switches discovered in SOM ? You might check in the SOM UI -> Inventory -> Switches -> the physical and virtual switches. You can delete the switches from there where I don't see a reason to do so. There might be one exception where I'm not sure how SOM will behave - going back to my former example (FCSwitch1..FCSwitch7).Let's assume you added at the very first time FCSwitch3 into discovery list. After a Discovery on FCSwitch3 all the other Switches of the Fabric should show up in SOM's Switch Inventory. If you delete now FCSwitch3 only from the Discovery list and e.g. add FCSwitch5 to the Discovery list and perfrom a Discovery, it might result in some errors, but I might have to verify the same.

Regards,

Dieter

connection
Super Contributor.

Hi Dieter,

I have added about 15 switches out of 10 are working fine. I have added the same switch which has been deleted.

Thanks for your reply.

DieterRohbeck
Super Contributor.

So you do have 15 Fabrics, right ?

connection
Super Contributor.

Hi Dieter,

Yes, all are fabric switches.

DieterRohbeck
Super Contributor.

well that was not the answer to my question - sure each of your switches is member of a fabric .. but how many different fabrics do you have ?

connection
Super Contributor.

Just got information from DC Team, it is 4 fabric's for each switch.

Just want to share this is my first work on this domain (storage), please expect some not relavent answers.

DieterRohbeck
Super Contributor.

I guess now you are mixing up things .. a FC Switch is member of one Fabric only at a time  (exception might be in V-SANs). So if I got you correctly, your environment has 4 different Fabrics (at least those you are attempting to discover in SOM) - that mean, since you need only to add ONE FC Switch from each Fabric into SOM's Discovery List, you should only have 4 entries for the CISCO switches in SOM's Discovery list as the corresponding participating switches of the Fabrics get discovered automatillaly (if snmp community string or snmpv3 credentials match for all the switches in the Fabric).

Regards,

Dieter

connection
Super Contributor.

Hi Dieter,

I got the following log from Inventory->Physical switches.

This is the log for all the devices show in screenshot, could you help me to understand is this a related to discovery fail.

[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO Starting Collection job 1481721788661 com.hp.se.disco.common.task.DataCollectionJobImpl (1481721788661)
[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO Some parts of the collection may take long time... Detailed progress is available in som-trace.log
[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO Got a configinstance path of ":APPIQ_CiscoSNMPProviderConfig.InstanceID=\"APPIQ_CiscoSNMPProviderConfig#10.204.245.89#1480672156284\""
[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO Checking to see if we need to update cache. If Cache update is already in progress will block here for a bit. Cache Refresh Period in miliseconds = 7200000
[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO No need to refresh cache -- was recently updated at Wed Dec 14 20:36:20 IST 2016
[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO Successfully updated cache on 20008C604F9CC400
[2016-12-14 20:36:29] INFO Starting collection from "\\root\\cimv2:APPIQ_CiscoSNMPPhysicalSwitch.Name=\"20008C604F9CC400\",CreationClassName=\"APPIQ_CiscoSNMPPhysicalSwitch\""
[2016-12-14 21:26:16] INFO Collecting CIM_PhysicalPackage
[2016-12-14 21:26:16] INFO Collecting APPIQ_CiscoSNMPLogicalSwitch
[2016-12-14 22:01:41] INFO Collecting APPIQ_CiscoSNMPFabric
[2016-12-14 22:01:41] SEVERE Exception following APPIQ_CiscoSNMPLogicalSwitch --APPIQ_Component-> APPIQ_CiscoSNMPFabric
[2016-12-14 22:01:41] SEVERE CIM_ERR_FAILED
java.lang.NullPointerExceptio

connection
Super Contributor.

DieterRohbeck
Super Contributor.

Since you didn't tell me what SOM Version you are running, and there are known issues w.r.t. CISCO discovery e.g. in base SOM 10.10 and 10.20 Version, I recommend to apply the most current patches first (if applicable). If the discovery is still failing you will have to raise a support case since more complex issues are supposed to worked in this forum.

Regards,

Dieter