The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

varying target date based on pending status

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jeremy Wespi
Occasional Contributor

varying target date based on pending status

Software: OpenView ServiceDesk 4.5 (SP7)

I recently inherited the job of supporting this software, so I'm still a little green.

We currently have a Database rule that generates a page within an hour of reaching the target date for both Service calls and Incidents. However, as written in our SLA, we do not count the time these tickets are spent in Pending status.

I would like to either:

1) write a rule that would perpetually extend the target date in real time for the period the ticket sits in Pending status, or

2) modify the existing notification rule to add the time spent in Pending status to the target date, so the 1-hour notice will be accurate to SLA standards.

Thanks,
Jeremy
11 REPLIES
Adrian Collins
Regular Collector

Re: varying target date based on pending status

Hi Jeremy,

I've come across this problem before, and unfortunately there are no clean solutions.

The approach you suggest in point one is definitely possible via the following procedure:

1) Create a custom boolean field in both modules (Service Call and System Incident) named "Date Setback Trigger"

2) create the following two database rules for each module:

Setback Rule 1 - Trigger YES

CONDITIONS
When a call is created or Modified and
â ¢ Date Setback Trigger = YES
â ¢ Status = Pending
o Schedule the validation 1hrs after Target Date

DATA UPDATE ACTIONS
â ¢ Set Date Setback Trigger to NO
â ¢ Increase Target Date by 1hrs

Setback Rule 2 - Trigger NO

CONDITIONS
When a call is created or Modified and
â ¢ Date Setback Trigger = NO
â ¢ Status = Pending
o Schedule the validation 1hrs after Early Finish

DATA UPDATE ACTIONS
â ¢ Set CSC Deadline Trigger to YES
â ¢ Increase Target Date by 1hrs

One issue to consider with these rules, is that depending on the volume of service calls and system incidents logged, you can end up with many scheduled tasks being evaluated continually, which can slow things down.

Another way to implement deadline setbacks is through database triggers, though this does take the control outside of Service Desk and may not be desirable.

Cheers,
Adrian Collins
Adrian Collins
Regular Collector

Oops, sorry I messed up the names of some of the fields in the second rule.

"Early Finish" should read "Target Date", and "CSC Deadline Trigger" should read "Date Setback Trigger"

Thanks,
Adrian.
ralphwtaylor
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy,

See if the attached document helps. Its a solution produced by a colleague which works for us.

Ralph
Jeremy Wespi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I think these ideas will lead me down the right path.

I have hit one hurdle, however....

When creating an action to perform, I am limited in my options.

Here are my only functions to choose from:
Current date
Add to Current date
Subtract from Current date
Subtract timespan from
Add timespan to
Make empty

I selected the 'Subtract timespan from' function, but this does not allow me to subtract one value from another. I can only manually select the length of time to subtract.

Am I missing something, or is there a way to create a function that allows me to subtract one value from another?

Thanks,
Jeremy
ralphwtaylor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeremy

If you refer to the paragraph in the document.

"The calculations within actions A01 and A02 are not available within the UI rules using duration fields. To achieve these operators you will need to select a number field and select the function on value as described above, once the values and function have been selected you can then change the field type as required above."

What this means is that you have to fool servicedesk into giving you the operator you want. You do this by setting up the action using a number field first. This will give you the operator you need. Then BEFORE you add the action you change the attribute back from a number field to a time/duration field. Then you add the action to the rule. If you add the action and then try to modify Service Desk will clear out the values and you have to start again.

Hope that this is clearere now.

Regards,
Ralph
Jeremy Wespi
Occasional Contributor

I have one more problem:

I cannot use Max. duration as a field. We have a field titled 'Target Date' which is the equivalent to 'Deadline'. The target date value is modified by the Max. duration field, therefore it gets changed if I use it.

I need to be able to create a duration field, but I do not have this option. The only choices I have are as follows:

Boolean
Code
Configuration Item
Date
Number
Organization
Person
Text (40,255,4000,65535)
Workgroup

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Adrian Collins
Regular Collector

Hi Jeremy,

Can you please assign points to the replies which were posted?

Thanks,
Adrian.
ralphwtaylor
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hi Jeremy. Sorry for the delay have been way over Christmas.

There is a SerDuration (1 and 2) custom field (although it is described as Number!). Use this to store the MaxDuration value. Then create the actions as described in the document.

Regards,
Ralph

ralphwtaylor
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy,

Sorry for the dealy I've been away over the holidays.

Under Service Call custom field there rea two duration fields. SerDuration (1&2) although they are identified as Numbers. ou can use this field to store the MaxDuration value while you do the calculations as described in the document I provided.

Ralph

ralphwtaylor
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy,

Sorry for the dealy I've been away over the holidays.

Under Service Call custom field there are two duration fields. SerDuration (1&2) although they are identified as Numbers. you can use this field to store the MaxDuration value while you do the calculations as described in the document I provided.

Ralph

Jeremy Wespi
Occasional Contributor

Perfect!

That lets me do what I need.

Thanks to everyone.

Jeremy
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event