Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

using smart action in a ui rule

Highlighted
Anju
Super Contributor.

using smart action in a ui rule

I am trying to use a smart action in a UI rule to send an email. Can anyone tell me what application should be used in the smart action to do so? your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.
thank you
5 REPLIES
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Re: using smart action in a ui rule

To send an email use "Send e-mail message" as the action. No need to use smart action.
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Sorry I missed the point that you are trying to send email from UI rule.
My response is applicable only if you want to use DB rule.
Though I do not know why there is a need to use only DB rule, you can try following work around:
You could use a command execute action and call some third party email client (ex: blat). Pass apropriate parameters to send the email.
Note: I have not tried this on my system; it is just a thought.
Anju
Super Contributor.

Thank you Bhuvnesh, I have already tried using outlook app but all it does is load a new message window but does not send any email to the address passed in the parameter.
LexTNS
Respected Contributor.

Hi,
You can use standard email functionality from OVSD, but we liked to review before sending. So we use a button in SC screen, which triggers a UI-rule, this starts a smart action, which called Rundll32 with parameter "url.dll,FileProtocolHandler mailto:" and more params. But you are running out of space for larger param texts (like disclaimer). But its the easier way.
Now, because of larger texts, we use a VBS script. The smart action calls cscript and starts a vbs script, which generates a mail in outlook (using olmail?). This mail you can edit and send manually.
One "disadvantage" is: don't param empty fields cause then the process halts.
Hope this helps solving your question.
Lex.
Anju
Super Contributor.

Thankyou Lex.