cancel

update Service via text field

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Brian Alexander
Valued Contributor.

update Service via text field

Is it possible to make a DB rule where if a custom text field changes the Service field changes to match the Service that has the search code listed in the custom text field?
5 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: update Service via text field

Brian - you can't write a rule to do this directly but you could consider triggering SD_EVENT to achieve this via a mapping file?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Actualy it can be done. But the "solution" is based on a very interesting bug found by Oguz Kutlu Asik.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=787798

But you must MAKE SURE that the text fields matches EXCACTLY the service name (services don't have searchcode).

Construct the UI/DB rule as usual. Select data update and from there select Service;Name. Set it to the vaule of the text field. Press ok to save it. Reopen the action. Hilight the ";Name" (after Service) and press Delete. You will see that the value is emtpy. Press Cancel. If you see the text of the rule it will be

Service set to [NAME OF THE FIELD]

If the text value doesn't match a service name you will get errors at the logs.
menes fhtagn
Brian Alexander
Valued Contributor.

This works as desired, but I'm not sure about basing a solution on a bug. I will have to look into this more. Is this bug documented with HP somewhere?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

No, I don't think so... who want this fixed anyway ? :)

Generaly speaking service desk can do some pretty interesting things that are not documented and can be exploited for our use.

I don't consider it as bug, I consider it as undocumented feature that could be offered normaly if hp had give more thought.
menes fhtagn
Brian Alexander
Valued Contributor.

See solution above. Thanks.