unable to load closed service call view having service calls over 1 million

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

unable to load closed service call view having service calls over 1 million

hi,

i m using Service Desk 4.5 SP 17 .we have almost more than 1 million closed service calls . when we wanted to open that viwe the system gets hanged and our DB filesystem @ unix server got 100 % .can please guide me how can i do archiving and create a view which only displys the 100000 Service calls in one step .

need your guidance.Also can you please tell me what is the purpose of these Filesystem in HP UX for Servcice desk

/db15/oradata/srvdsk
/db15/oradata/hpsd-ftp
/db15/oradata/ovpi

best regards,
ad

6 REPLIES
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

Re: unable to load closed service call view having service calls over 1 million

just an addition , how can i create a view , which shows closed service calls of last one month.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Adeel,

One million service calls in one view are out of question. 100000 service calls is also out of the question. Depending on how many fields this view has the maximum could be much lower.

To restrict the output go to Administrator Console/Presentation/Search/Service Call. Check "Restricted to" and select a reasonable number. The less fields the view has the more rows can be safely been fetched. I suggest a number between 10000 and 20000
menes fhtagn
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

hi ,

Thanks for the tip . can you please guide me how can i start archiving for these old service calls .
thanks.

best regrads,
Adeel Mehmood
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi there,

You can archive old calls: first set up a view which defines the calls you want to be archived: eg one with a filter saying over 3 years old and closed.

Then go to Tools>System>System Panel>Archive settings.

Select the box by Service Calls and select the view that you created. Use the other fields on this and the other tab to set the other aspects of the archive. Then press the "Start Archiving now" button. The records will be DELETED from the SD DB and put in an XML file.

Note that archiving should not be used as a backup solution. Once information has been archived, it cannot easily be restored.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Adeel,

Archiving service calls means that they will be deleted from the database and this process cannot be reversed.

To archive service calls go to Administrator Console/System Panel/Archive Settings. Select for service calls a view that is going to be used for archiving. To archive check the entities you are interested in archiving and press "Start Archiving Now...". Note that this is a lengthy and heavy process that takes much time.

Have in mind that the restrictions on the views I wrote in my previous posting should be also taken into account. Archive views (at least the default archive views) are heavy and unless you specify a low query limit the procedure will fail.

If you are not interested for the generated xml files, you can modify the archive view to have just the id of the ticket. This way the query limit can be much higher.

Also have in mind that the service calls with linked work orders will not be archived unless the work orders are archived (or the link is removed) first.

In any case, I strongly suggest to have a db backup before starting the archiving process because as I wrote earlier, archiving is one way operation and it cannot be undone.
menes fhtagn
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

thanks for the suggestions .

best regrads,
Adeel Mehmood