Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

successor starts only if predecessor is closed

Highlighted
RamiAmin
Regular Contributor.

successor starts only if predecessor is closed

i have 2 workorders w1 is a predecessor for w2 and w2 is linked in a template to a change but when i create a new chang both w1 and w2 are created at the same time they have correct predecessor relation .
so what 's the use of "successor starts only if predecessor is closed" because i am having both workorders start at the same time
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: successor starts only if predecessor is closed

Hello Rami,

If you want both workorders to be able to start at the same time, just uncheck "successor starts only if predecessor is closed" on the predecessor template.
menes fhtagn
RamiAmin
Regular Contributor.

i need to have a workflow so first w1 starts then w2 i have the check box "successor starts only if predecessor is closed " enabled but still both are starting at the same time
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Rami,

Sorry, I didn't understand. The workorders are created at the same time but the successor won't be able to start if the predecessor is not closed. Check the successor, you should see that the status is read only. It will be read-write as soon as predecessor is closed.
menes fhtagn
RamiAmin
Regular Contributor.

thank you george but is it possible for the second work order deadline to be calculated after the first workorder is closed

and is there a way for the assigned person of the second workorder to be informed that the first workorder is closed
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Rami,

The deadlines are calculated automatically at the generation of the work orders. However, you can alter the deadline of the successor and notify the assignee to start working on it.

To update the deadline:
Create a rule that when a workorder is closed, to update sucessor;deadline to a desired value.

To notify the assignee of the successor, either create a custom boolean on workorders and a rule that once is set to send an e-mail, or the e-mail notification can be based on the status (Eg, when workorder is opened)

Anyway, the rule could be like this:

when workorder is closed update successor boolean to true.

Then create another rule that when this boolean is true an e-mail to be sent to the assignee.
menes fhtagn