sp 17 sd45

did anybody install sp17?
any new bugs?

Patch Name : SDSK_00061
Description : Service Pack 17
Product : service desk
Operating System : Windows
Date Released : 01/05/2006

Additional information about this patch and the patch download are available at the HP OpenView support website:
http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=SDSK_00061

Patch Name : SDSK_00062
Description : Web Console for Service Pack 17
Product : service desk
Operating System : Windows
Date Released : 01/05/2006

Additional information about this patch and the patch download are available at the HP OpenView support website:
http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=SDSK_00062
19 REPLIES
Jasper Verweij
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: sp 17 sd45

Vasily,

There is a known issue for SP16 and SP17:
http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM008306

....and don't forget to run mig_attachments.pl script

Jasper
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Vasily,

We are currently testing SP17 and plan to promote it to production in mid Feb. So far I haven't experienced any troubles. It has some pretty interesting enchachements (like sending attachments through DB rules, custom relations etc) and fixes the speed overview actions.

It seems promising.
menes fhtagn
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

I musta missed the memo....

"and don't forget to run mig_attachments.pl script"????????????????
What does that do?

Thanks
g
Robby De Naeyer
Respected Contributor.

Dear,

With the installation of Service Pack 16 or later you have to run a script (See SP documentation for more information) to migrate the attachment structure to a SD5.0 conform structure.
(Short info: The reason for this migration is a windows folder limitation.
There are 2 options for the migration one option moves the attachments and the other one creates a link to the old structure. I myself prefer copying old attachments to new structure (that also will be used in SD 5.0))

I installed SP17 and the only new feature that caused me a lot of trouble was that you are no longer able to update blocked items. So i had to build a work around. But still my import can not correct any user error. So if somebody blocks an item my import can not unblock it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.
Robby De Naeyer.
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

i can not start admin console on PC.
gett nullpoint error ...

Servicepack.jar was copied manually.

Any ideas?
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

Robby!
i did not migrate attachments on test env but i can work with them. Is it normal?

In production we use SP5 so i did not test sp16.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Vasily,

About the administrator console, try to rename "AdminConsole.ATB" and "Console.ATB". Unfortunately I'm not sure whether this is generated on startup or installed during the installation of SP. In any case try to rename them and if they are not generated automatically try to reinstall the SP17 (client).

About attachments. The structure of the attachment tree is changed and if you don't run the conversion utility you won't be able to access attachments attached to items *prior* to SP16. This is also fixed in SP17
menes fhtagn
Robby De Naeyer
Respected Contributor.
Solution

Dear,

After the upgrade to SP16 or SP17 you can still add&save and open the attachment because it is saved with the new folder structure.
But you should not be able to open old attachments since they are not yet migrated to the new folder structure.
(Note: If you can open old attachments you should check if the upgrade was completed correctly.)

Indeed with all previous version we also did an upgrade of one client and copy the servicepack.jar and the hotfix.jar.
But for some reason this does not longer work for SP17. You have to upgrade every client using the .msi file.
And indeed if you just copy the files manualy or by script you get java error on the admin console. But using the .msi fixes this.

(Note: We had to uninstall and reinstall all clients because the .msi that was used for the initial installation (in 2003) was not complaint with the SP17 upgrade. The .msi file was called "All users hp OpenView service desk 4.5 client.msi" and is not on the SD4.5 installation cd, so i have no idea where it came from but it did not work with the SP17 upgrade.

Best regards,
Robby De Naeyer.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello

About "This is also fixed in SP17" that doesn't make sense: I forgot to wrote that SP16 web console has problems accessing attachment and this is fixed on SP17.

Without running the conversion utility you will be able to access only the attachments attached with versions SP16 or greater. You won't be able to access older attachments.
menes fhtagn
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

it seems that ITSM007823 is reproduced again in SP17

about admin console i found ITSM case. Really it is better to install clients which will use adminconsole using msp file or copy manually some additional files.
Andrej_19
Honored Contributor.

Indeed, the problem persits in SP 17!

I've already upgraded to SP 17, so what needs to be done to repair database ? Does script for service pack 17 already exist or is the one for SP 16 OK ?

So if service desk service pack is already installed, does it have to be reinstalled again with the missing script ?

Further assistance would be fully appreciated.

Best regards
Andrej_19
Honored Contributor.

The strange thing is that perl script exists in SP 17!
Jasper Verweij
Acclaimed Contributor.

To be more precisely, attachment directory structure is changed because of Unix limitation and not Windows...

See also http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM007474

Jasper
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Since I have been testing SP 17 I have been following this thread. But I want to be clear on my understanding.

>> Running of the mig_attachments is only necessary if UNIX is the OS?

>> win 2000 can apply SP 17 and not have to run the mig* file to make sure the attachments are accessable

>> win 2000 when moving to SD 5.x (eventually) will also NOT require the running of mig* to make sure that SP 17 attachments "make it" during the conversion to 5.x

Thanks in advance,

g
Gerry Allardice
Outstanding Contributor.

The migrate attachments script needs to be run on the server which hosts your attachments (ftp server) as soon as you go to SP16 or beyond irrespective of the OS of the application server or the ftp server.
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

Does SD SP17 support oracle client 9.2 (9.2.0.1)?

we use 8.1.7. in product
on test env i want ot test 9.2 oracle client
Jasper Verweij
Acclaimed Contributor.

Vasily,

please read following document how to get a supported SD45 with Oracle92 environment:

http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM005273

Jasper
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

thanks a lot
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

HP has hotfix for the problem of importing block items (SP17). We have tested it, it works. You can get it from support.