service desk migration 5.0 to 5.1

Highlighted
Leonardo De San
Honored Contributor.

service desk migration 5.0 to 5.1

Hi hi,

I have SD 5.0 SP 756.
I want to migrate to 5.1 SP 242.
Is there a manual or best practise to do it?
Or anyone can tell me how to do it?

Other question: I have customized Service Pages and some table of DB, is there any risk to loose them? (I want to avoid to upgrade also the SP module, is there any problem?)

Migration will be done in this week-end so I would have a quick answer!

Thanks to all

Points available
4 REPLIES
Leonardo De San
Honored Contributor.

Re: service desk migration 5.0 to 5.1

I forgot other questions:

I have OVO agent on SD server, how do I have to manage it?

If I would backup my DBrules and UI rules how to do?
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Leonardo,

In my experience, SD 5.1 service packs are pretty much "execute and forget". There's no real way of doing them other than going through the service pack's install menu. Obviously backing up the database is a paramount necessity.

Now, I'm not sure about the 5.0 to 5.1 business, but I seem to remember somewhere applying a patch you just could not roll the server back from. If your environment is virtualized, make sure you make a backup image of your app server.

Actually, one thing I'd suggest is to execute this on a staging system and test the crap out of it. We had so many catastrophic failures patching OVSD 5.1 we just stopped @ SP3 and refuse to go further.

Always saddens me to see a fellow OVSD 5.x victim. Best of luck to you.
Leonardo De San
Honored Contributor.

Thanks for answer, that's just what I'm trying to do: backup of DB, clone of production server to make a test server and trying on it.

Do you know something about the follow procedure?
1)backup of DB
2)Install from scratch the 5.1 version on a new server
3)let the new server with 5.1 see the copy of production DB
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

"Do you know something about the follow procedure?
1)backup of DB
2)Install from scratch the 5.1 version on a new server
3)let the new server with 5.1 see the copy of production DB"

Hey Leonardo,

Do you have any DBA or Systems guys at your office to help you? Seems to me the DBA would do your backup for you and your system's guy would clone your app server.

If you don't have a Staging system already, I'd get one, restore your DB to it, and scratch build an app server, THEN do the upgrade to the latest patch set. Only after a bunch of people have tested would I attempt to run any patches on production.