sending email using ovsd

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

sending email using ovsd

OVSD 5.1 SP6 / SQL 2K5

Microsoft Outlook has been setup in order to send emails from within OVSD.

Unfortunately when we click on the action "email message to this person" another Outlook instance is opened and an error pops in the pane where the inbox/calendar etc appear. Before I get to the error I will add that the new mail message box with the person name does appear and you can send an email as desired.

So I have 2 issues here; first if outlook is already open, I only need the new message box to open, I do not requires another instance of outlook to open and second whether or not outlook is open, when outlook does open (after clicking on the action within ovsd) it has the error message I mentioned earlier; the message implies that the pane is trying to get to a website and cannot.
11 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: sending email using ovsd

Hi,

what command are you using in the action to call outlook?
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

sorry; under actions & rules / applications section; here are the settings...

Name - New Mail Message
Command Line - outlook.exe
Start In - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
Decription - blank

is this the information you were looking for?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

thats it and I expected outlook.exe to be in there.

I haven't done thi sin a while but from memory I used the "mailto:" to open a new mail form.

You can also add some good switches to it as weill which you can find easily on the web.

Try mailto: from the run command then try it in the smartaction.
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you; that gets rid of the 2 errors i reported however i cannot find a switch that allows the to: field to be pre-populated, any ideas?
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Theron,

Try these parms:

outlook.exe /c ipm.note /m thepike@pwnage.com

Hope that helps. Points are welcome!

The Pike
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

thank you; that populates the to: field with the email address you provided. Is there a variable to allow for the name in the field you are selecting "to email" from to be pre-populated? for example i am selecting the drop down menu from the caller field therefore when the new message box pops-up i was hoping the caller's email address would be in there. It works if you just have outlook.exe with no switches but then the 2 errors i reported return.
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

I got it to work... i put the outlook.exe /c ipm.note command in the application section under action and rules and in the smart action itself i put the /m parameter and used the OVSD attribute Primary Email Address; this creates a new email and populates the to: field with the caller...

Now i need the subject populated but can't find the switch for that; any suggestions?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

http://www.outfront.net/tutorials_02/adv_tech/mailto.htm

Look at number 4: Write the E-mail

You use another switch for body and the carraige return switch as explained. You should be able to pull in OVSD attribute values also into the body text.
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

There were some good ideas in here but ultimately they do not work. Actually typing in the variable into the command line under the application worked for the primary email address and nothing else but at this time that will be sufficient.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Theron,

Try this:

outlook.exe /c ipm.note /m thepike@pwnage.com?subject=All%20Your%20Base%20Are%20Belong%20To%20Us!

Points welcome!

The Pike
Theron Greenawa
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks; I eventually managed to get what i needed done. Your suggestion only works if I spilt the "outlook.exe c/ipm.note" into the application command line and the rest into the smart action itself.