Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems importing data using Data Exchange

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
JW3
Regular Collector

problems importing data using Data Exchange

Software: OpenView ServiceDesk 4.5 (SP7)

Our build lab approached me about creating an automated process of entering new Configuration Item entries for multiple machines (hundreds at a time). I belive (and hope) this can be accomplished using Data Exchange.

For testing purposes in my Dev environment, I have created a simple ini file that grabs 3 pieces of data: SEARCHCODE (asset number), CISHORTTEXT1 (Node number), and SERIALNUMBER.

I am able to export this data with no problems. I then created an Import Mapping entry to relate the data above to the proper fields.

After exporting, I deleted the CI record of an existing device, then attempted the Import Data task using my xml file and the Import Mapping entry I created. I get no errors, but the log file shows no entries were imported. There are no errors within the log file.

Anyone have any ideas ?
See attached file for data info.

--Jeremy
14 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Care to post the Data Exchange task window?
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Here you go.
Kumar Dilip
Member
Solution

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Hi,
1st of all, in all the locations in your excel file, ini file and in your data exchange, all the name be same. In the excel file where you store the CIs, select all the data and define a name. Give the same name in ini file, and for the data exchange also. follow these steps. I am sure u can successfully bulk load the CIs.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Kumar,
It doesn't look like the source is Excel. They don't *have* to be the same names in all places, although keeping the same names helps the less experienced users.

Just avoiding the confusion.

Jeremy,
That's not exactly the window I was expecting. I mean the one you run the Import from. I'm curious about the options you are using to run the Import.

Cheers,
The Pike
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Sorry, here you go.
Kumar Dilip
Member

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

hi Pike,
Exactly, Just to avoid him from mistake, I advised him like that.
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Is there any documentation for how to do the Import Mapping ? I think my problem might be there.
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Could the problem also be with my wanting to create a new entry, vs. updating an existing one ? I noticed that when I export to my xml file, it has 2 entries for 'ID' - one, I'm guessing, is used internally for Service Desk to track that item. The other is what is visible to the end user when they look up that Configuration Item. When I am importing the xml file, I am deleting both of those, since I won't have that information for new entries.
Kumar Dilip
Member

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Hi,

Can u pls attach the log file here. Pls zip if its large
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

It is part of the attachment in my first post - unless you need a different log file ?
Kumar Dilip
Member

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Hi,

Try the same without giving the username n pswd.
If you still dint get the output, try this one.


[DSN]
NAME=CONF
USR=
PWD=

[SYSTEM]
LOG=TRUE
XML=TRUE
LOG_FILE=CONF.log
XML_OUTPUT_FILE=CONF.xml
APPLICATION_NAME=CONF

[CLASSES]
NAME=CONF

[CONF]
SOURCE=CONF
ATT=[SC],[CIST1],[SN]
COLUMNS=[SC],[CIST1],[SN]
LOADTABLE=TRUE

Pls make sure all are in CAPS, and the excel file too has name like SC,CIST1,SN only.
I too had faced a similar issue. The above type solved it. So am sharing with u.
HTH
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

doesn't work without the username/password in the file.

I'm getting 'Could not get DB connection to: jdbc:odbc: TSDESKLOAD, user: ErrorNumber 5000'
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

I found my problem!

In my import mapping, I had 'A Reference to Item' set to 'Required attributes per status' on one of my properties. I changed it to 'Template', and now it works.


Thanks, Pike and Kumar
JW3
Regular Collector

Re: problems importing data using Data Exchange

Solution found
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event