Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

mini-patch - Display the ordering of UI/DB rules

Highlighted
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

mini-patch - Display the ordering of UI/DB rules

Hello,

DB/UI rules have a sort order but this information is not displayed in the User Interface.

By adding the attached jar this information will be available on both views on UI/DB rules (Rules by Category and Rules (System))
Extract the attached file and copy ExtRuleView.jar to the client\lib directory. Then add lib\ExtRuleView.jar; in the begin of the classpath.

While the modification is neither dangerous nor adding something dangerous, you'd better be safe than sorry and use it at your test environment.
menes fhtagn
21 REPLIES
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: mini-patch - Display the ordering of UI/DB rules

hi!

Great!!! Can i publish this in my site too ?

Ashly A K
http://geocities.com/helponhpopenview/
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Personally I have no problem. I don't know however how HP would feel. In order to being able to write the patches I did ehmm... a little reverse engineering :)
menes fhtagn
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,
I created a link to this post!!! Hope it will be all right.
What ever it is, what you published is a very useful.

-Ashly A K
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

Sorry to be such a ludite but, should I copy the file to the client/lib folder on the app. server or on my PC?

Secondly, how exactly do I add to the begining of the classpath?

As you can tell I no nothing about Java.

Thanks.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Copy the jar to the lib\ of the client installation directory. To use it, modify either sd_client.bat (but then you must execute sd_client.bat) or modify the sd_client.ini and it will be available even if you run the client from the desktop.

Initially sd_client.ini should be like this:

jview /cp lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;lib\import.jar;lib\export.jar;lib\jndi.zip;lib\ldap.zip;lib\providerutil.zip;lib\ui.jar;lib\sdui.jar;lib\common.jar;lib\sdcommon.jar;lib\resources.zip;lib\jclark.zip;lib\ms_interfaces.jar;lib\libftp.jar;lib\msword8.zip com.hp.ifc.ui.AppConsole

Modify it to
jview /cp lib\ExtRuleView.jar;lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;lib\import.jar;lib\export.jar;lib\jndi.zip;lib\ldap.zip;lib\providerutil.zip;lib\ui.jar;lib\sdui.jar;lib\common.jar;lib\sdcommon.jar;lib\resources.zip;lib\jclark.zip;lib\ms_interfaces.jar;lib\libftp.jar;lib\msword8.zip com.hp.ifc.ui.AppConsole
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

I've done exactly as you say but there is no difference to the UI / DB rule view?

I see no extra columns, or anything?

Do I need to running a particular Service Pack? I'm on SP17.

Thanks
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Peter,

Make sure that while editing sd_client.ini the jview /cp <...> takes one line.

Open a command line and go to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client

there type

jview /cp lib\UpdAllExt.jar;lib\ExtRuleView.jar;lib\PATCH.jar;lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;lib\import.jar;lib\export.jar;lib\jndi.zip;lib\ldap.zip;lib\providerutil.zip;lib\ui.jar;lib\sdui.jar;lib\common.jar;lib\sdcommon.jar;lib\resources.zip;lib\jclark.zip;lib\ms_interfaces.jar;lib\libftp.jar;lib\msword8.zip com.hp.ifc.ui.AppConsole

Normally while viewing UI/DB rules a new column should appear. I don't think that it has to do with SP level, here it works both on SP20 and on SP23.
menes fhtagn
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!
I tried and it is working fine. Could you tell me what those numbers means ? I can see some numbers are repeated, is it okey or am i supposed to get panic ;)

Ashly A K
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

Rule ordering is different from the code ordering. While the latter is integer, rule ordering is string.

It is composed by concatenating a sequence (the actual order) to a string.

The string is the last four characters of the entity's OID converted to text.

And to answer to your question, yes, two rules can have the same order. However who will get to be executed first in such case is mystery. Probably the one with the lowest JAV_OID but I can't be sure!
menes fhtagn
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thanks, George!!!!

Ashly A K
http://geocities.com/helponhpopenview/
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

I've tried all ways I can think of but I can't get this to work?

There's just no change to the view of the rules?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Peter,

The patch works on SP20 and SP23 (my test system). So even you do something wrong or the patch just doesn't work at SP17! I can't find other explanation.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Ok, Thanks anyway.
gjaimeg
Regular Contributor.

Hi George

I have SD45 with SP17 and your mini-patch works perfectly!

Thanks
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

gjaimeg,

Would you mind posting your sd_client.ini file?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Peter, extract the jar contained in the rar file I attached and copy to the \lib directory found on directory where the client is installed. (usually it is C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\)

You should name it ExtRuleView.jar.

Now open a command line and go to the the directory where the client is installed (usually it is the path mentioned above). There type (in one line) the following command:

jview /cp lib\ExtRuleView.jar;lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;l
ib\import.jar;lib\export.jar;lib\jndi.zip;lib\ldap.zip;lib\providerutil.zip;lib\ui.jar;lib
\sdui.jar;lib\common.jar;lib\sdcommon.jar;lib\resources.zip;lib\jclark.zip;lib\ms_i
nterfaces.jar;lib\libftp.jar;lib\msword8.zip com.hp.ifc.ui.AppConsole

It should work. Not that you must execute this command while you are in the installation directory and NOT in the bin!
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

I did as you said and it worked.

When running the command from outside the \Bin folder it seems to work.

Originally I had amended the sd_client.ini file as you said, but that file resides inside the \Bin folder. When I run it the extra column does not appear.

So how can I make it work? I don't want to have to type into a CMD window each time to start the client.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Peter, as long the file is extracted at the \lib directory and your sd_client.ini is like the command entered at the command line, it works.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

After a bit of trial and error I've found that its because of the folder structure I use.

I have several 'sets' of folders, (copies of the default HPOV installation folders).

Each one is customised slightly and keep seperate from the others, so as I can run more than one instance of the client at once on my PC.

So there are sets of sub-folders inside the default HPOV client folder.

Running the updated CMD lne anywhere except within the default HPOV client folders means that the extra column is not displayed.

That's why I can't see it.

Thanks for you help.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thanks George,

it works a treat (SP 24).
Atromitos
New Member.

Hello Everyone,
The file has a rar extension. Can I rename this file to .jar or do I have to use an extractor and extract it to the lib file and rename it from their? I have already copied this file by just downloading it and renaming the file to .jar placing it in my lib folder. Next I modified the SD_Client.ini per George's instructions and no luck I have provided screen shots please see attachments