Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

mailing rule

Highlighted
sweet
Contributor.

mailing rule

hello,

We are using sd4.5.I m facing a problem wth my sd.When service page assign the problem to any person or group.Now i want to edit the field which we can see in that mail.Can anyone tell me whether i can get that fields sothat i can edit these fields.Are these in database rule? or anywhere else?

thanks in advance
11 REPLIES
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: mailing rule

Hi 'Sweet',

I think you are talking about the auto-mail that goes from SD. However, for Problem Assignment, if there is an auto-mail it's info will be in the Localized Text in Administrator Console. If the mail is being generated through a DB Rule then it will be in DB Rules. Usually as far as i can remember, te information should be in localized text.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
sweet
Contributor.

hi suarabh,

I do'nt know this mail goes from which pattern mean through DB rule or localizes text.When any client register his call through service page than it mail comes, i do'nt know exactly which path or instruction follow by it????
I had searched in db rule but i did'nt find.Can u tell me, where i will search in localized text? mean from where it takes it's defaulted field, by which i can change these fields.

thnx for reply
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

there is a field on the Person record
"Send me an e-mail when items are assigned to me"

if thsi is checked a mail will be sent to a user if a call is assigned to then directly or to a queue that they are a member of.
If yo uare using this method to send the mails then you may be able to modify the localised text to affect the system message sent.

In SP 17 there is an easier way to change these messages.

We have the above option disables and I have created DB rules to send e-mails as I can customise them and condition them better this way.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I am pasting the extract from a Technical Doc that explains this:

All sentences or phrases that make up the auto-reply message sent by Service Desk are separate labels which can be edited. Many of these labels contain replaceable parameters which are hardcoded and which are replaced by variables (such as Service Call ID) when the label is used by the system. The flexibility of these messages is limited by the type and location of the parameters that are used.

Examples/instructions:

The menu path to use to customize these phrases is:

'Tools->System->Presentation->Text->Label Text'

In the 'Label Text' window that is displayed, click the '+' sign next to the name of the language under 'Text' - this will cause the entire list of labels to be displayed. To aid the user in locating the text items that are displayed, they are sorted in alphabetical order. The arrow on the bar containing the word 'Text' indicates the sort order. If the arrow points downward, the sort order is from Z to A. If the arrow points upward, the sort order is from A to Z. The scroll bar on the right will aid the user in quickly locating the text the user want to change.

When the user has located the item to be changed, double click on the text and a window will open in which the user changes can be made. After making the user-desired changes, click 'Save and Close' in this window.

The eMail auto-reply message is made up of four phrases:

Thank you for registering service call %1.

NOTE: '%1' above is a parameter which will be replaced by the ID number of the Service Call. If this parameter is removed, the resulting text will not contain the ID number of the Service Call.
Your mail with subject "%1" has been processed as a service call. The service call id assigned is %2. This message is sent in response to an eMail received by Service Desk from which a Service Call is created.

NOTE: '"%1"' above is a parameter as in which will be replaced by the Subject line of the Service Call enclosed in quotation marks. This Subject line will be the same as the subject line of the eMail received originally by Service Desk.

'%2' above will be replaced by the ID number of the Service Call.

If these parameters are removed, the resulting text will not contain the data items that they represent.
This message was automatically generated by
Please do not reply to this message.

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Check this link if you can....

http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=OV-EN003474

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Saurabh
sweet
Contributor.

Hi Saurabh,
hey thanx for ur co-operation, but yaar actually i m very new in this field mean openview. Can u tell me which steps i have to take for this problem?AS u have written for lable text, but i can't find any text in that, plz help meeeee
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Sweet,

Let me get this correctly. There is a mail that goes to an end user when he/she creates a ticket through Service Pages. You want the mail to go in a format that you want.

There are two ways of doing this:
First, You can edit the Localized Text as mentioned in my previous posts. This means you will need to change every line of that text that you recieve in the mail in the "label text" section, since that mail message is a combination of multiple messages put together.

Second, (and this is recommended).... Block the automatic mail that goes from SD, and create a DB Rule, to do send a mail when a Service Call gets created, and status is Open, to send a mail to the Caller, with the Text information completely csutomizable in the Service Desk Administrator Console Database Rule Section.

The decision is yours on this... Of course, I am assuming you are the administrator for this instance of Service Desk.

If you want details on the individual choices, as to how to do it... I can help you out again...

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
rubi_1
Frequent Contributor.

hi saurabh,
You r confusing somehow. that mail is getting by asignee mean I and our group. I wanna to change it.

thnx a lot for helping me

bye
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

This is even more confusing... Who am I responding to?? Sweet or Rubi???

Anyways... I guess my understanding went wrong because this is the mail that the engineer gets when an item is assigned to him/her.

In that case, my previous message remains true - with the following changes:

The recommended process is...

1. Remove the checkbox in the person field "Send me an email when an item i assigned to me."
2. Create a DB Rule:
When a Service Call is created or modified,
Status (*) is Assinged, Assignment to (*) is anything,
Send mail to Assignee...

Create such a DB rule and this will should help you out... in formatting the text of the mail that assignee gets...

Hope this resolves the confusion....

Regards,

Saurabh
sweet
Contributor.

Hi saurabh,

thanx for support i think it will wrk.anyway ruby n sweet are same i.e. me.thnx a lot
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Rubi,

I's sure like to know if I could help. So do post the feedback.

Regards,

Saurabh