java.lang.runtimeexception unexpected EOF in HPSD 4.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Nyan_1
Collector

java.lang.runtimeexception unexpected EOF in HPSD 4.5

Hi

I'm getting a lot of "java.lang.runtimeexception unexpected EOF" in HPSD 4.5 is there a way to fix this permanently. I know about the clearing the cache under user profile. Is there a hot fix or something that I can do to fix this error for good.

many thanks
Nyan
10 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: java.lang.runtimeexception unexpected EOF in HPSD 4.5

Hello Nyan,

Generally "java.lang.runtimeexception unexpected EOF" isn't fixed by deleting the cache contents but by deleting the file (usually user.dat) that has zero length.

It is a bug however that could be easily fixed and I fail to see the reason why HP hasn't fixed it yet.

Is by any chance that due to the easy workaround that none has reported it to HP?
menes fhtagn
Herman Schipper
Acclaimed Contributor

Please George will You explain the workaround about this problem? We have sometimes also this problem and we reported it to our support provider. Untill now I don't know more then delete the user's profile, so it is created again.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

go to the users OVSD profile "C:\Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk"
and look for the file called views.dat. Check the size of the file as it will normally be 0k in size when thie error occurs.

Delete or rename the file and start openview client again.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Herman,

Unexpected EOF usually means that there is a file on %PRODUCTDATADIR% (usually on
C:\Documents and Settings\%PROFILE%\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk\) that is of zero length. Usually this file is "user.dat". Anyway, by deleting the file with zero size the problem is fixed.
menes fhtagn
Nyan_1
Collector

Hi,

So if I delete the user.dat or Views.dat that is 0kb I don't need to recreate the user profile again??? Can the user carry on as normal??
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

That should fix the problem and the user can work ok without having to do anything else. Just bear in mind that the user may have lost their personla views if the views.dat file was 0k.
Nyan_1
Collector

Hello,

We have multiple Citrix servers (load balancing) that the user is connecting through via Citrix Client. Is there a way to solve this Java EOF error if possible prevent it from happening because logging into several server and removing the files one by one is time consuming and alot of users are unhappy about it?

I logged a case with HP and the error occurs more often on Citrix according to HP.

Hp Response:

"The issue has always been occuring more ofter on citrix clients since more then one user can use the same profile.

Unfortunatly there has never been a fix since this has always been a citrix configuration issue."

Many Thanks

Nyan

Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

hi!

Some time back, in one of the client's place i faced this issue. So, what i did was to write a small .BAT file.

When the user wants to login to SD, instead of clicking on the icon of SD Client, they got to click on this .bat file. Then, the .bat file will delete the files in %user%\Documnets&Settings\HP\......
then run sd_client.bat/purgecache.

Infact, i removed the icon of SD Client from the desktop and replaced with this .bat file. so what is happening in the back ground is not visible to them and SD is working great.

Even now also, i give this solution to some people. like normally, they use the SD Client icon on desktop. If you have any issue, there is another icon, just click on that. (in this case, i remove the whole of HP folder in \Documnet&Settings and replace with a master copy from a network share)

All are small and dirty stuffs. But at the end of the day, my SD support get fewer calls and almost no complients from the users.

Hope thi helps.

-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Nyan_1
Collector

solved.
Raymond G. Raym
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi I'm getting the same issue "java.lang.runtimeexception unexpected EOF" but not in HPSD 4.5 but instead in Citrix ICA Client. Does anyone could help me to solve this. Thanks in advance.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event