The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing telephone numbers into person record....

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Isaac Kingsly
Occasional Advisor

importing telephone numbers into person record....

Hi all,
Iam trying to import the telephone numbers from an excel sheet into the person record, but during the export to xml file the number is exported in scientific form ( to the power of E, type string ). can someone tell me where can I change the related configuration settings or otherwise how can this issue be solved,
Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Re: importing telephone numbers into person record....

Hi,

Just right click on the telephone column of in the excel sheet.Go to format cells and choose type as number with decimals as 0 places and format as 1234.1.

hope this helps.

Regards,
Akhil
Isaac Kingsly
Occasional Advisor

Hey Akhil,
I had already tried it out, but it's the same thing again.
Jorge Castilla_
Collector

Hi Isaac,

Try this utility for excel, is really good to convert all the number to text with predefined macros: http://www.asap-utilities.com/ and very useful dealing with excel files when you are importing information in Service Desk.

Rgds,

Rgds,
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hi Isaac,

Yes Excel + ODBC can be strange. Try inserting a new column next to the phone, and use the formula =TEXT(A1,"0") and import those values instead. (A1 of course should be whatever the phone column is).

We use this to correct a serial number import that was behaving as you have described. We also couldn't get Format Cells to help.

Cheers

Isaac Kingsly
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot david. This works, and that's exactly what I did. though it solves the problem, it seems to be a temporary solution. once again thanks alot....
regds,
Isaac
Isaac Kingsly
Occasional Advisor

solved
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event