cancel

importing nodes from NNM to SD4.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Dean Morrell
Honored Contributor.

importing nodes from NNM to SD4.5

I need help here - any references to better documentation would be extremely useful.

Basically, I'm trying to have OVSD 4.5 sp22 import nodes from NNM7.5 as configuration items. The only "instructions" I can see on how to do this are in Data_Exchange.pdf, page 182:

Importing NNM Nodes into Service Desk
Node information from Network Node Manager can be extracted and
imported into Service Desk as configuration items. A Data Exchange
task can be created to extract the information from Network Node
Manager and import it into Service Desk. The extraction is done via an
open database connectivity link (ODBC) to the NNM database. The data
will first need to be exported to an Oracle database, see “Exporting NNM
Data to a Data Source” on page 187 for additional information on
creating an Oracle account for exporting NNM node information using
ODBC.

(end excerpt)
Ok, so help me understand - NNM has to export the node info to an external Oracle database, because SD cannot extract from NNM's solid database.. (right?) So I think our NNM guy did this for me.

The next step, then, is to set up and ODBC connection from the service desk server into the above-mentioned Oracle database, right? When I run odbcad32 and create a new dsn, the possible drivers I can see which make sense are "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" and "Oracle in Oracle in OraHome92". Which should I use?

Do I need to set up entries in my tns_names.ora and listener.ora files to do this, or does ODBC not use these? If it doesn't, then how does it work?

Thanks,
-d
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they still have some REALLY FUN ideas.
4 REPLIES
Dean Morrell
Honored Contributor.

Re: importing nodes from NNM to SD4.5

Another question: I'm seeing some use-able documentation about importing config items from OVO, so I wonder... Is there any advantage to importing them from NNM, or do most real people with souls import them from OVO?

-d
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they still have some REALLY FUN ideas.
Elias Abboud
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Dean,

There is no need at all to export NNM data to an external ORACLE database or any other database.

See the SOLID database that comes with NNM is an ODBC database. All you need to do is to install the solid ODBC driver on your SD server and create a DSN using that driver.

Then you can use the instructions in the data exchange manual of service desk to connect to the NNM solid database and import the NNM nodes into SD Configuration Items with any required fields that you can find in the NNM Solid Tables.

You should do a topology export in NNM prior to importing the NNM nodes to SD CIs this in order to have updated information.

Depending on which version of the solid database you have. you can download the solid odbc driver from:

http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=OV-EN005352
If you can't solve it, post it :)
Elias Abboud
Acclaimed Contributor.

it is also perfectly possible to first install the NNM-OVO connector then make use of an ovinternals script that creates all the NNM nodes in OVO.

Then you can also directly import your OVO nodes from the backend OVO database whatever that is (ORACLE/MSSQL ...) into SD configuration items

Hope this helps
If you can't solve it, post it :)
Dean Morrell
Honored Contributor.

thanks Elias - extremely helpful stuff!

So I installed the solid ODBC driver, turns out it also needs a .dll -- referenced in this thread: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=551169

After installing the .dll file, I can connect via the ECW wizard, so I think I can probably blunder it out from here

Thanks again,
-d