Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

how to show only child CI's in 2nd CI field?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jan Zonnenberg
Trusted Contributor.

how to show only child CI's in 2nd CI field?

We would like to activate the custom CI field in a service call. This field may only contain child CIs of the CI in the main CI field.

for example: the disk is te source of a problem in a server. this is filled in when closing a call.

Does someone know how to limit the list of CIs to only the child CIs shown to a user when he/she want to fill in second CI field?

It would even be better if the related CI's wher also shown.
5 REPLIES
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: how to show only child CI's in 2nd CI field?

Have a look at this ER;

http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM008496

I think it might do what you are after. Add yourself to the notification to see if we can get this moving.
Steven De Smet
Honored Contributor.

Haven't checked it yet but maybe the relationship stuff in the data, code, general can help.

Although the maintenance can be have, but used in a couple of times in combination with the new limit field feature that uses the entity relationship.

it works fine
Jan Zonnenberg
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Jonathon,

The ER is close to what I am loking for.
the difference is that I would like to keep the relation to the CI which was used when the call was created. And i would like to make a relation to the CI wich caused the call by the time the call is closed.

For example. We have ticket vdening machines. when the call is created we relate the call to the node-CI for the vending machine whic h has a ficked location on a trainstation. When the call is closed we would like te relate the call in a second CI field to the component which caused the call, foar example te cardreader. This cardreader is probably exchanged for a spare and in this way we can track call on both the node and the components.
we need an easy way to select the component CI for the seccond CI field.

You could als retrieve this information with a reporting tool from the history files but we also need to keep the relation to the first Ci intact for overview actions.

Can I ad this slightly different functionality to the ER as feedback and would that help?
Jan Zonnenberg
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Jonathon,

The ER is close to what I am loking for.
The difference is that I would like to keep the relation to the CI which was used when the call was created. And I would like to make a relation to the CI wich caused the call by the time the call is closed.

For example. We have ticket vending machines. When the call is created we relate the call to the node-CI for the vending machine which has a fixed location. When the call is closed we would like te relate the call in a second CI field to the component which caused the call, for example the cardreader. This cardreader is probably exchanged for a spare and will be placed in another machine after repair. In this way we can track calls on both the node and the components.
We need an easy way to select the component CI for the seccond CI field.

You could als retrieve this information with a reporting tool from the history files but we also need to keep the relation to the first CI intact for overview actions.

Can I ad this slightly different functionality to the ER as feedback and would that help?
Johbo
Respected Contributor.
Solution

Dear Jan,

You could try to copy the original CI to your 2nd Ci field, when creating the call, with an UI rule. Then use the quick find icon on your 2nd Ci field to show the CI structure view and there you will find your relations with the Ci in your 2nd CI field.
As far as i known there has to be information in the 2nd CI to get the options in the quick find icon.

John