cancel

allow user to close SC by him-self

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
taoub_1
Regular Contributor.

allow user to close SC by him-self

Just wondering, is it possible to allow user to close his SC? 8-))
11 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: allow user to close SC by him-self

Hello taoub,

Yes, it is possible to close SC by himself as long as either status entitlement is not enabled or simply the user has access to the closed status.
menes fhtagn
Rajesh Nair
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Taoub,

Yes it is possible for user to close his SC. According to ITIL, the Helpdesk/Admin should only complete a call. Closing the call has to be done by the user.
You need to configure a DB rule to send a mail to caller that the call is completed. Then you need to give him the option of giving a feedback which will also close his SC.

Regards

Rajesh
taoub_1
Regular Contributor.

Tnx, guys.
Second question, is how to send an e-mail with URL (guess some kind of SP URL) as an option for automatic closure of their Service Calls.

I mean, I would be really glad if users could close SC by just clicking on the URL in their incoming e-mails with out any need for authentication.

Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

"Closing the call has to be done by the user" - the helpdesk can close the call as follows
1) The user has agreed to the closure
2) The user has been advised that jis call is closed and has the option to repoen the call or request that the helpdesk reopen the call within an agreed time frame.

If letting the user have access to close their own calls rsults in the ability for the user to also re-open their calls could be a issue especially when the calls are bound to an SLA and could go over the SLA if the user opens the call.

taoub_1
Regular Contributor.

I would like to follow ITIL in this case, but as far as I know most of our users will never send an agreed mail (or call back) to close SC if their services works fine. They are too lazy for that. 8-( But they would probably click on URL in the e-mail.
Another part of problem is that I don't like an idea of closing SC by time frame.

Rajesh Nair
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Taoub,

If the user is not willing to close the SC, then you can configure a DB rule to close the case after a specified time-frame(e.g 2 or 3 days) after status changed to completed. So you are giving the user 3 days to close the call or you can say that the call after completion is under observation for 2 or 3 days.

Regards

Rajesh
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

The approach we take is to have a DB rule which sends out an email to the caller with 2 urls: one which generates and update [ID] email to amend the status to closed (if the user is happy with the resolution) and the other which alters the status back from Resolved (or completed if that is what you call it) to Active (or in progress) for when they are unhappy.

In addition, it sets a scheduled to task to close automatically if the call is still in state Resolved 14 days after this.

We find that this is following the spirit of ITIL without leaving calls open for ever. I do not think it is unreasonable to assume if a caller does not respond within 14 days that the call should be closed and we the email text includes this inofrmation.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
taoub_1
Regular Contributor.

Great idea, Ruth!

Could you be more specific on how to create such rules with "update URLs", pls. 8-)))

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

You need to include the url in the body text of the email: it will look something like this:

mailto:?subject=Update%20[ID]%20&body=Status:Closed"

for the close case.

Hope this helps
Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
taoub_1
Regular Contributor.

Thanks again, Ruth!

I'll try, I'm not sure if this going to help, we use IBM Lotus as a mail system (mail client), I have to ask System Administrator if it can send mail via plain text.

But may be you how to generate update URL with Service Pages?

Anyway, I'll try it out with just mail system.

Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

the "mail in" should work with Lotus Notes. I have used it successfully for a number of customers using Notes.