Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

XML / printing help

Highlighted
Chris_780
Respected Contributor.

XML / printing help

I am trying to create an XSL style sheet to print selected fields in a Service Call. Everything is fine except I cannot print the Quick Search fields (nor will they print from the canned Memo XSL file). I have Quick Search turned on for the Caller and CI fields, in particular I need to print the Caller's Identification number from a Service Call. So either I need to know how to print Quick Search fields, or I need to know how to point to the Person entity to grab this information (when printing from a Service Call). I assume when printing, Service Desk creates a temporary XML file somewhere with which the XSL file grabs the data from. If anyone knows how to access this XML file, I could then see how the data is structured and adjust my XSL file as necessary.

Thanks!
Chris
5 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Re: XML / printing help

Hi Chris,

If you want to get caller's identification number you have to create a custom SC field (text40 type), named 'Caller ID' for example. Then, using a DB rule that will fire when a SC is created, that field will be updated from caller's identification number, and so will be available in your print preview and should be published in a XML file format. I can't see any solution using Quick Search to get more info about caller and CI within SC form, except a similar manner of custom fields added to your SC form and populated via DB rules.

Regards,

Dan
Chris_780
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for the response, we already have this information displaying in the ticket, if you go to the System console and go to Presentation, Search, Service Call, click the Show tab, and check the boxes for Caller and CI, then back on the Search tab you can determine which fields to show. This then displays a shaded area under the field with this information on the ticket. The problem is not being able to get it to print. Unfortunately I am not in a position to make changes to our company's form by adding custom fields, I was hoping that since the information displays on the ticket itself, you should be able to print it. Either that or call to it from the XSL file somehow.
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Chris,

To solve your problem you can choose from the following:
1. Create custom fields an add to SC form (this is not an option for you, and you explained why)
2. If you have experienced before some SQL or ORACLE tools you can query application database, get report information about all fields you need from a specified item category (SC in this case) and export in convenient form (even in XSL form) to use as you want.

Best regards,

Dan
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

Chris,

we had a similar requirement, and were eventually able to solve it by creating a different view. For some reason, a Card view allows picking & printing these fields from the Person (Caller) record. We created a card view with the fields we wanted. Then we created a table view with approrpiate filters, and finally an explorer view (supplied to the client) navigating by OID, using the table view we created, and the card view as the Base view. This may address your requirements....

Terry
Chris_780
Respected Contributor.

I am trying to print from the actual ticket form itself (regardless of which view I accessed it from). I think it's a problem with the XSL code not being able to access fields from other forms (perhaps these fields aren't contained in the XML file generated behind the scenes to begin with). I appreciate all of the workarounds, they definitely work...I was just hoping it would be possible to print directly from a ticket and capture all of the information within it without having to create custom fields and views.

Thanks again for you guy's help.

Chris