Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Who has the World's Largest Generic Relationship?

Highlighted
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Who has the World's Largest Generic Relationship?

We're considering using Gen Rel to link BRAND to MODEL (something lacking in HPSD since day 1). Apart from the tedium of setting it up (DE will help) - would it perform when a UI rule kicks in to limit the choices?

So the question is - how many relationships have you guys made work? Are we talking 10*10, 20*50 or even 50*100 or more?
12 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Who has the World's Largest Generic Relationship?

Hello Mike,

Here we have about 500 generic relations with no performance issues. However generic relation groups are used and that helps dramatically reduce the needed number of generic relations.

For example we have generic relations between services to classifications. This list would be huge if we didn't used relations groups. Instead of linking services to classifications directly, we link services to service groups and service groups to classifications.

I don't know if model can be grouped, but if it can, use model groups !
menes fhtagn
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thanks George. Groups only help if there are many-many links, ie several services use each classification and patterns emerge whereby several services SHARE a group. Where MODEL will be unique to a BRAND then group is an unnecessary distraction.

Anyway, I am bid 500, who will raise?
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Mike,

I've only just done exactly what you are proposing, Model and Brand.

I thought I had a lot, 250. I think performance has improved?

Where is the work for the relationship carried out, I presumed it would be a relationship setup in the database. This has to be more efficient than the UI Rule which is processed on the client?

Can anybody correct me on that?

Also, I'm going to use Generic Relations to replace a whole load of other UI rules which currently govern the use of three linked code lists. Sort of Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 effect. What you choose in Level 1 determines what you see in Level 2 etc. Imagine how manay UI rules there are! They will all be replaced by ONE UI rule!
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thanks Peter, I think this is definitely the way to go for Model->Brand selection, one UI rule and a pretty static, slowly extending, DB structure.

I can now announce that I am the proud owner of a 4900 entry relationship, 500 Brands with on average 10 Models (and I herby claim my own prize!). Set up via Data Exchange for the codes and SQL to insert the relations. The client end is pretty fast, swapping Brand offers a new drop-down automatically on Model, looks neat.

The ONLY drawbacks are - 1) Admin needed to set up new codes and they have to remember to do the relationship AND -2) the Generic Relation takes 20 seconds to OPEN - so I'm advising "add a batch of new models periodically rather than do it piecemeal"

I'll keep you posted if other issues crawl out of the woodwork.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Mike,

You can have an explorer view of "Generic Relations" and you will be able to create new generic relations from this explorer view as long as a "generic relation form" is created.

Don't try to look to create a generic relation form, you can't. However you can import an existing one (You can find it at the attachment, along with the explorer view).

The following workaround is for SP20 or higher. DO NOT TRY to do that in an environment of lower version, the sky may fall on your head!

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! Don't blame me if something goes catastrophically wrong. Do it at your test system and even there you should have a backup. I did it at my system (both production & test and it worked like a charm, however I cannot guarantee that it will work or you system). The sky may fall on your head!

However, before you even attempt to do that, you need to add generic relations at the shortcut bar. Execute the following query

select ent_oid from ifc_entities where ent_name='Generic Relation' and copy the OID.

Go to the shortcut bar and press "Add Shortcut...". Select "File or URL" and paste the oid returned by the query. As name you can enter whatever you like (though "Generic Relations" is self-descriptive)

Then import the view that is included at the zip file. Importing custom view requires SP20 or higher.

To import the form use ACES Import. Modify SysVersion to match your environment.

Though not very likely, the following lines in the xml might need modifications:

To find the correct oid for each run the following query:

select atr_name, atr_oid from ifc_attributes where atr_ent_oid= (this is the same oid that is used as link in the shortcut bar).

Have fun!
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Mike,

Out of curiosity have you tried this to a test server? Did it work as expected?
menes fhtagn
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Not tried yet, won't be this week, will let u know
Jan Gunnar Helg
Honored Contributor.

George,

I tried to import your aces but got the following error:

Naming conflict, entity 'EntityUsage' has two attributes with the same name 'ItemType'
but with different oid's: '28' and '633318801539612'
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

This is odd. I have only one "Entity usage" in ifc.entities.

The query select * from ifc_entities where ent_name='Entity usage' returns only one row.
menes fhtagn
Jan Gunnar Helg
Honored Contributor.

That query only reported one entry for me too..

OID 633318801539606

Weird that it reports two
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

What is the entity with oid 633318801539612 ?

Do select ent_name from ifc_entities where ent_oid=633318801539612
menes fhtagn
Jan Gunnar Helg
Honored Contributor.

Both 633318801539612 and 28 are blank