Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which system user runs DB & UI rules in the background

Highlighted
Omar Alvi_1
Regular Collector

Which system user runs DB & UI rules in the background

Hi,

I needed to know which system/windows user runs a DB rule, or a UI rule run in the background (triggered by a DB rule) and whether this user can be changed.

The issue is that when running a Command Exec Action from a DB rule, the action is supposed to send an SMS , this is failing, because this user doesn't have its proxy configured. However, I don't know which user this is?

I hope I got myself clear. We're running OVSD 5.10 SP 2.

-Alvi
2 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Which system user runs DB & UI rules in the background

1. The DB rule is run like system user. To see that enable audit for an attribute and have a DB rule to modify it. On history line you will see that the field had been modified by the system administrator.

2. The execute action are executed by the same user that runs the agent service on the target machine. Usually this is
menes fhtagn
Omar Alvi_1
Regular Collector

Re: Which system user runs DB & UI rules in the background

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've found that the "HP OpenView Ctrl Service" is starting using Local System. This user isn't presently able to access the internet.

Are there any negative consequences of changing the "Log on as" option for this service to a domain user who is also the system administrator? This would allow my exec action to run successfully.

I have two application servers, can I have one started with local System, and the other as a domain user?

I'll have to check with my windows team for the alternate solution of giving the SYSTEM user previliges for internet access.

Appreciate the support and assistance.

Thanks and Regards,

-Alvi
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event