Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Which entity to use for Person --> Change link?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Which entity to use for Person --> Change link?

Hi,

I'm doing lots of DE imports to link entities together, which I haven't used before.

Please can somebody tell me which entity to use to import data to link Person to Change?

Thanks
15 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Which entity to use for Person --> Change link?

Take your pick:

Change; Manager
Change; Assignment;From Person
Change; Assignment;To Person
Change; Assignment;To External Person
Change; Requestor
Change; Initiator
Change; Custom Person field

If you choose Change;Manager then the changes will be listed on Person;Manager of Change in the Person form.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

Thanks, I can see those fields in the Form Designer but, how do I create an import mapping for Change;Manager?

That entity is not listed when trying to create an import mapping.

See screen shot.

Thanks
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Peter,

George's Chnage; Manager may well be a custom field.

We at Fox usually rename the Initiator as Change Manager or Change Owner as we find the name Initiator can lead to confusion.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Ruth,

Thanks for that but no, that's not realy what I'm getting at.

On the default Person form, (Person (All Fields), there's a field called "Manager of Change".

I shows the link between Change and a Person, (obviously).

I want to know how to populate that link, usng Data Exchange.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Peter,

I am a bit confused - your screen shot shows the fields beginning with C whereas your field is called "Manager of Change".

Could you post another?

Regards, Ruth

Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Well the Field on the Person end of the link is called "Manager of Cange".

But, what is it called at the other end?

On the Change end of the link?

Which field can I populate in a Change Template to libnk the Person as the manager of that change?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry Peter, I am still confused - is "Manager of Change" a custom field on a Change or on Person; and what exactly is it you are trying to do with the DE?

Regards, Ruth
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ruth: Manager is not a custom field. It's built in and it exists in Change, Project and Organization.

Peter: I don't understand what is the problem!

Manager is not an entity set. It's merely a field. See the attachment
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Peter, I now see your confusion.

Manager of change is an entity set field. Entity set fields are like normal fields but they cannot be imported directly. To fill this set the only thing you have to do is fill the Manager field on Persons. If you open the person, then the "Manager of this changes" will contains all the changes that have this person as manager!

So, to import a manager you just create an import mapping for Change and making sure that the field "Manager" is filled.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

A correction to what I wrote above.

Manager of change is an entity set field. Entity set fields are like normal fields but they cannot be imported directly. To fill this set the only thing you have to do is fill the Manager field on Change.

Then if you open the person, the "Manager of these changes" will contains all the changes that have this person as manager!
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

And since there is a common misunderstanding let's make thing clear.

There are two fields of type "entity reference". It's the "entity reference" and "entity reference set". Unless using IDK designer or running OVSD as kernel designer, a user can create only "entity reference" type fields.

An entity reference field is simple: It holds a pointer to another entity. (Eg, Manager is a person field on Change). Code fields type is also "entity reference".

And entity reference field is more complex. It has two pointers, the pointer to the entity and a pointer to an entity set using the first entity as "identifier".

Thus "Manager of Changes" on persons will contain
a) The entity reference of person
b) The set of changes that have this person as manager

But there is a major difference between them: Entity references are stored as fields on tables, entity reference sets are calculated dynamically and there are NOT physically stored.

So when you open a person, OVSD will lookup all changes that have this person as manager filling this way "Manager of changes".

And though entity reference and entity reference fields appear similar to "relations", there is a fundamental difference: Relations are ENTITIES while "entity references" are POINTERS to entities.

For example CI user is an entity that contains
CI as entity reference
Person as entity reference
Relation type as entity reference
Reverse relation as entity reference
It's also contains an extra field that does not appear in forms, the OID.

Now, "CI users" on CI is an entity reference set to "CI users" entity. It scans the table where "CI users" are stored and looks for matching CI. All matching rows will be returned and presented on the form.

Same as "User of configuration items" on Person. It scans the table where "CI users" are stored and looks for matching person and all matching rows will be returned and presented on the form.

This is why when you import relations you use an item mapping (eg CI Users).

You can't import an entity reference set because this is not physically stored. To "fill" an entity reference set, you just do an import mapping and fill the appropriate "originator" entity fields.

In your case you should create an import mapping for changes and at this import job fill "Manager". That would be it!
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Oops, an error! I mixed "CI user" with "CI relation"

CI user contains four fields
1. Person
2. CI
3. Object ID
4. Template

menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

George,

Thanks for that detailed explanation and the resolution to the problem.

It was compounded by the fact that some time ago I had renamed the Manger field so, it was a lot less obvious than it may seem.

I have only one link left to create, that's Incident --> Config.Item.

It seems straight forward though...

Populate the Config.Item field on the Incident template?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

If you mean "Incidents" on the CI form, yes. Fill the "CI" in incidents and this will be populated automatically. Same with "Service Calls", Problems and "CI On Work Orders".
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

See above, all relationships now imported, thanks all.