Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Westbury Products

Highlighted
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Westbury Products

Hi,

We are in the process of looking for a reports tool to report upon certain KPI's and to monitor how are services are performing. I have looked at Westbury's Service Desk Intelligence product, does anyone on the forum use this and can you give me some feedback on your experiences.

Jay
7 REPLIES
Himanshu Chawla
Honored Contributor

Re: Westbury Products

Hello Jay,

Westbury SDI product comes with pre-defined Universes and Out of the box reports for HPSD as part of Westbury Report Manager. This is based on Business Objects and the Pre-built unvirses give you access to all the fields and custom fields in HPSD to build reports from. This helps as you do not have to go and learn the HPSD Database schema. Ofcourse the out of the box reports do not include any custom fields that you may have used most probably, so with just some tweak to these you can have meaningful reports for the various modules of HPSD.

SDI also includes the Westbury Dashboard Manager which I do not have any experience with.

Himanshu.
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Thanks for the information, I am aware of the out-of-the box reports based on business objects and the universes and it appears very easy to create new custom reports that meet our business needs.

How much administration does SDI require?
what is the performance like?
did you also use the bolt-ons recommended by Westbury.....the scheduler and the publisher software?
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

Hey Jay,

I'm not a huge fan of using a 3rd party canned utilities against a tier 1 app like OVSD. They more often than not act like square pegs in a round hole. The only time I've ever considered canned reports usefull was during demos.

I'd use a report constructor like Crystal Reports or Business Objects. These tools don't pretend to know how OVSD works, or what drives business at your organization. They just give you the tools to build and publish the reports yourself.

Michael Daly_2
Collector

Jay

We find the views you can create within SD to be very limiting particularly as items are 'related' to one another, such as a Service Call related to a Change, which in turn has say 6 Work Orders. It's impossible to get a SD view with a 'sum' of all the hours for all these related items. I must admit we don't do a lot of reporting but I have managed to put together a Microsoft Access report front end which is working fine for our Billing and Timesheet reporting.

With Service Manager 7 due in December 2007 doesn't it come complete with a vast array of internal reporting right out of the box? If its the next generation of the Peregrine Service Centre product then it probably has quite a deal of reporting built into the product.

From the demonstration we have had of the Westbury Report pack for HPSD it looks a very good product and is 'ready to go' in most cases with reports for HPSD. As others have said it may take a little tweeking for adding in your custom fields to existing reports, but it looks a LOT easier than starting with a blank piece of paper with Crystal Reports, and you don't have the learning curve to learn Crystal Reports.

Even if you do decide on Westbury or an alternative like Crystal Reports is it worth the high cost for a short term return, when these products may become redundant when Service Manager 7 hits the market?

Michael
21 June 2007
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the report package does help to get reports quickly even though there are some limitations it saves you having to learn the OVSD DB structure etc. The default reprots are good to get going and it can be customised.

As for product life Westbury can advise on that.
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

"{With Service Manager 7 due in December 2007 doesn't it come complete with a vast array of internal reporting right out of the box?"

We heard this same story with OVPI. HP told us it was the miracle reporting utility that would answer all our questions with zero customization. Of the 100+ canned reports, want to know how many were usefull? None.

Programs like OVPI (and whatever canned reports they throw into SM7 as an afterthought) will be nothing more than record dumps. Nothing better than "all records sorted/grouped by X,Y,and Z". True reports relieve the user of manual pattern finding in vast record dumps. They provide meaningfull decision making information as opposed to just data. Thats why the best reports will always be painstakingly created via a report creation utility like Crystal, Access, SQL Reporting Services, or Business Objects.

Alexey Leshkin
Occasional Contributor

We used WESTBURY Dashboard Manager. I have some experience in installing and configuring this product.

Resume: Simple product, simple database structure. Can hold metrics, which periodicaly calculated. But it is rather difficult to administrate metrics and kpi's. Demo installation work perfect.

I configure product in this way:
I insert all metrics, kpi's and persons with the help of SQL and Oracle. For example, i have 7 functions in Oracle database and 3500 metrics with such sql-text: select fun1(object_oid) from dual;
This was done becouse of limitations of Dashboard Manager.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event