Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web server connection to application server in case of multiple server configuration in SD 4.5

Highlighted
aks3183
Regular Collector

Web server connection to application server in case of multiple server configuration in SD 4.5

Hi,

I am using SD 4.5 in multiple server configuration. There is one web application server configured for service pages request and its pointing to one of the application servers. Can anyone let me kno if that application server fails or goes down then how will the web server point to other servers in the multiple configuration environment? The thick client uses srv.dat for this purpose. But what happens to web requests(service pages requests) if primary application server goes down?
7 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: Web server connection to application server in case of multiple server configuration in SD 4.5

Hi,

with service pages if the application server it points to goes down you will loose service pages.

There is a file (web.xml) where you specify the application server but I don't think that you can specify 2 servers

~D:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\webapps\sd-sp45\WEB-INF

However, if you install service pages on a second server, bind the 2 service pages URLS in DNS and use round robin (or similar) to distribute the requests you have a crude but working failover.

If one server fails DNS should point all requests to the other URL.
aks3183
Regular Collector

Re: Web server connection to application server in case of multiple server configuration in SD 4.5

Hi Mark thanks for the reply.

So there is no other way then the DNS thing mentioned by you. Are you sure that no changes can be made to web.xml file in order to make the requird changes. Is the DNS thing tested by you in any way?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Im not 100% sure if you can add additional OVSD server names to the web.xml. You could try.

Yes, i have had this set up before and it worked well. It is basic but does the trick.
aks3183
Regular Collector

Hey Mark thanks again.

Could u please send me the steps involved in configuring the DNS thing so that it could work well. I don't have much experience in configuring that.

This would be great help.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

who manages DNS in your organisation. Best to get them to set it up as described above. I don't have access to a DNS console at the moment to go through the steps. Ifs fairly straight forward for a DNS admin to set up.
aks3183
Regular Collector

I heard that IPs can be configured through DNS. Does it work fine for URLs too??
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you should be able to do that.

Also have a look at this thread for an alternative solution

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=611694&admit=-682735245+1177937932821+28353475

I hope this has been helpful and worthy fo some points.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event