Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Web application server connection in case of SD application server failure

Highlighted
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Web application server connection in case of SD application server failure

Hi,
I have a scenario in which I have two SD application servers, Primary server and secondary server operating in multiple server mode(internal load balancing between the 2 Application servers). I have web clients connected to the primary SD application server through the web application server(Apache HTTP server with Tomcat).If the primary SD application server fails, how does the web server cluster route the requests to other SD application server. Any info would help.

Regards,
Anu
3 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Web application server connection in case of SD application server failure

hi
that is problem, I did next: install the 3-d server on web machine and don't join in multiple, used as standalone. If you like hide application server #3 - change port or use firewall.

Vasily
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Not sure of I posted my query appropriately. In my situation, I have 2 boxes with Apache HTTP server & Tomcat installed on each of them. These web servers have a hardware based or software based load balancer to distribute the web requests across them. I would like to know the process through which the webserver cluster will connect to Service Desk application servers(2 of them) running in multiple server mode. Can it be done by having a virtual IP address defined and the IP addresses of each SD Application server mapped to this virtual IP address. If yes, how will the internal load balancing & fail over for SD App servers occur. If not, is there any other way to connect web server cluster to SD App server cluster. Any info would help.
Rgds
Anu
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

yes you can use a virtual address or Ip to point the 2 SP urls to and provide this alias tothe users to use to log into Service Pages. As both the URLS point to a different physical application server, as long as each application server points to the same database then this covers fail over in case on URL/application server becomes unavailable.

Have a look into the weighting of the sessions. If you are running more that one OVSD application server "service" on each physical box by default the Service Page connections may only log to the service running on port 30999